Headphones: Sony, Philips or Sennheiser ?

anirudhsingh1998

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I'm looking forward to buying a decent headphones under Indian Rs.1000 (approx. $15).
I know i won't get much in this price range.
I've shortlisted 3 headphones: 1. Sony MDR-ZX110
2. Philips-SHL3000PP
3. Sennheiser-HD-180
Sony has good reputation, philips is offering various colours and great style, while sennheiser obviously is a great brand, but it doesn't look good.
I'm confused totally. Please somebody help me which one to buy coz i'm a bit tight on budget.
Good sound quality is the topmost priority, but style would also matter.
Thanks

arj1107

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
I have been using the 180's for a long time now and personally within the budget i preferred them over the philips.
Sony has been loosing it's reputation in most of it's departments for quite a while now. Their quality assessment seems to have gone down hill, specially in the A/V department.
It's hard to compete with sennheisers in any price range and if possible i would go for those.
It finally comes down to what's your priority. Sound or style. If it's sound sennheiser wins hands down.

anirudhsingh1998

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

Ok, so it seems like i should go for Sennheiser. Just one thing is bothering me. In the pics, the shape of 180's speakers is a little oval and not completely circular. I'm wondering whether it would be comfortable or not. You have used it so could tell me better about it. And ya, i wear glasses and want to use it mainly for travelling, so sound and comfort are the things i need most. Would it be comfortable?
Thanks!

arj1107

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014

I'm so sorry for the extremely late reply. You probably would have bought your headphones by now but I'll just comment incase anyone else stumbles upon this thread.

For me the philips had the worst comfort. Sony was a tad bit more comfortable on the ears but the Sennheiser ones have more cushioning on the earpiece and the top of the headband as well.

For long time use comparison, I'll let you know that while gaming for about 2-3 straight hours I ended up going for the Sony because the felt a little more easy on the ears but my friend who wore glasses preferred the Sennheiser.
If I were to choose one while traveling i would go for the Sennheiser because they didn't move around as much on my ears and the sound quality (for me) was better. Also, they have comparatively better noise reduction.

And if someone is willing to increase their budget a little, the Sennheiser HD 202 ii Professional are more powerful, have better base and have the form factor similar to the sony but are more stable and have better cushioning.

Once again I apologise for the incredibly late reply!