Headphones to use with amp/dac on Ps4

Blackfountain

Estimable
Aug 5, 2014
I recently found out that using a pair of headphones with a modmic and an amp + dac on the Ps4, is better than those shit-quality gaming-headsets.

I already got a lot of advice on this site and some suggestions for headphones and amps. Now I'm thinking about the vali/modi combo (Amp/Dac) and the DT 990 premium headphones, but some people said that the DT 990 doesn't produce a warm sound. Maybe some people have more suggestions? I like open or semi-open headphones with some bass, but also a quite wide soundstage.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
@blackfountain,

this is just a reminder on rules...

we do not allow duplicate threads since it clogs up the forum and since this is essentially very similar to http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2257323/audiophile-ps4-headsets.html which only ended 3 days ago it certainly falls into that classification.

typically we would just delete this thread and have you change your original thread title and heading post and continue to re-use it.

however, since you already marked a best answer and closed the thread out and since due to the length of the thread you might not get as many new responses i will let this thread stand. just be sure to not create duplicate threads again.

--

@all

see the discussion on this which was had here...
@blackfountain,

this is just a reminder on rules...

we do not allow duplicate threads since it clogs up the forum and since this is essentially very similar to http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2257323/audiophile-ps4-headsets.html which only ended 3 days ago it certainly falls into that classification.

typically we would just delete this thread and have you change your original thread title and heading post and continue to re-use it.

however, since you already marked a best answer and closed the thread out and since due to the length of the thread you might not get as many new responses i will let this thread stand. just be sure to not create duplicate threads again.

--

@all

see the discussion on this which was had here http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

--

@blackfountain

on to the topic...

the vali is a tube amp while the magni is not. both have good sound and are rather transparent but many people seem to prefer the vali. i suppose it depends on your taste in sound. many people also seem to prefer tubes but you need to also realize that tubes are glass so are a bit fragile. and while you can replace them which can drastically alter the sound of your amp the best tubes are older ones not made anymore since many new tubes are nowhere near as good sounding. this leads to rather high prices for good tubes.

another amp to look at is the o2+odac which competes with the magni+modi combo.

you might want to read this guide http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more which lists the differences between the beyerdynamic headphone models. it is informative.

as far as warm/cold or bright/dark are concerned these terms should be in my headphone guide terminology.

warm: tends towards more bassy sound with less treble.
cold: tends towards more treble and less bass
bright: tends to have prominant and sharp/crisp treble.
dark: tends to have more subdued treble which is not as sharp or high pitched.

you mention warm... are you looking for headphones which push all sound through them to sound further down on the bass scale then it should? meaning a song with lots of highs will sound a bit more bassy then normal. personally i prefer the warmer sound of my ath-m50s since i dont like my highs crisp.

the dt990 is known for having some really good treble however it also is known for having fairly decent bass for an open headphone as well. this would make it neither warm nor cold but in between. i would call it neutral except since it has a V shape sound profile its not neutral (which would be fairly flat across the board of low-mid-high. the V profile however is what many consider fun to listen to as a true neutral sound can almost sound clinical or boring to some but others like it. just how much bass do you want that the 990 isnt sufficient? its one of the "bassier" open headphones without getting into quite a bit more money.

the dt880's are usually considered more neutral than the 990 which is high/low focused or the dt770 which is bassier and a bit on the warmer side. read the linked guide for the models for a bit more information.

the sennheiser hd600/hd650 are also fairly bassy but run more money then what you are likely comfortable spending.

Solution

Blackfountain

Estimable
Aug 5, 2014
Thank you for replying, while the rules say that this thread actually should be deleted, I think this answer is the last one I needed. Just a few people said that the DT990s weren't warm sounding. That's probably because they're used to some more bassier headphones. I'll buy the DT990s, they seem to be perfect to me.

Thanks again, delete this thread if you want.

TRENDING THREADS