Headset Mic Works on Websites, Nowhere Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily_Tea

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
Hi! I have a headset normally used with an Xbox One that I'm attempting to use on my computer for Skype and what-not. It's a Turtle Beach XO Four Stealth, I believe. I'm on Windows 10.
Anywho, when I go on mic testing sites like https://www.onlinemictest.com/ and sites that record audio, my mic works absolutely fine. I've tested it over and over again.
But in programs like Skype, Discord, and hell- even the 'Recording' tab of my Sound panel, for instance, I can't get them to pick up my mic at all. I can't get the green bars to budge. The device shows up fine, and I'm positive it's the correct device I'm looking at- unplugging and plugging back in my headset makes the device disappear and reappear accordingly. It's set as default, it's enabled, I'm doing everything I can think of. But alas~ it just isn't working. SOS.

Edit: Just tested- apparently it works fine with the Speech Recognition as well. Still, nowhere else.

superninja12

Estimable
Herald
May 18, 2015
I mean the mute physical button on the headset.

so if you playback your recording, you can hear your own voice?
Did you check if your input device is your actual headset?

weird for a 250 dollar headphone, It should just work.
Quite sure it will be an ''oh yeah'' thingy.

Emily_Tea

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

The mute button is on the Xbox controller adapter, as opposed to the actual headset. The headset itself just plugs in with a normal headphone jack.
And yeah, I can record myself on something like http://vocaroo.com/ and play it back, and it'll be perfect. And yet even as I'm recording that audio, there will be no moving green bars on any of my devices under the 'Recording' tab of the Sound panel.
And yeah, in Skype I've tried with my input device set to both 'Default Device' (which my headset mic is set to) and the actual headset mic itself, unhelpfully (and weirdly) named "Mic in at front panel (black)".
Something I noticed just now- the green bars in the Sound panel DO go up- when I plug and unplug the headset. Wha?

Emily_Tea

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

I don't use Disc much- I only opened it to check if it was having the same problem :/ Not sure where that option is, and my main priority is getting the mic to run on Skype...

Status
Not open for further replies.