Headset microphone doesn't work

martx21

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014
Hi,

So I recently bought a SteelSeries Siberia v2 headset, unfortunately I'm using a laptop and it only has a hole for the audio so I couldn't use the microphone before I bought this: http://introalovera.com/en/other-peripherals/834-goobay-68878-usb-soundcard-20.html

So after I bought it I got to use the microphone for a day but now it doesn't work anymore again. My PC now detects the microphone but it shows it's detecting loud noise even though I'm not making any sound:

https://gyazo.com/2e10f7b9dfd54d4c5f08b393e1104307

Thank you for the help!

Solution
You will need to go into Device Manager or otherwise identify your sound card. Then, most likely, go to Dell's website and search. Once the driver is found, download and install. There may be an interim step to unzip the file if it is zipped. Dell may provide some instructions.

Device manager may even be able to identify the need for a driver update and do an update for you. Right click into properties and select the driver tab.

Also you might be able to get the information from Dell by entering the model number and maybe even the serial number of your system.

If it originally worked then the adapter has probably has failed.

Did you have to install any drivers? Could try a reinstall.

Also you could easily confirm a failure by testing the adapter and headset in another computer.

Or try the headset in another computer with both earphone and mic connections. No adapter.

Just methodically test to eliminate each possibility.

Best case: driver problem

Next: adapter failure

Worst: headset failure

martx21

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014

How do I reinstall the sound drivers? My PC is Dell Inspiron 3542, using Win8.1.

You will need to go into Device Manager or otherwise identify your sound card. Then, most likely, go to Dell's website and search. Once the driver is found, download and install. There may be an interim step to unzip the file if it is zipped. Dell may provide some instructions.

Device manager may even be able to identify the need for a driver update and do an update for you. Right click into properties and select the driver tab.

Also you might be able to get the information from Dell by entering the model number and maybe even the serial number of your system.

Solution