Heavy, Screen Dependant Static In One Speaker Channel, Possibly Since Downloading Driver Update

Mack247

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
I recently downloaded the new Nvidia Drivers through the Nvidia GeForce Experience. I'm uncertain if this is the true culprit for my problems, but it was after this event that I started noticing an incredibly loud static coming from the side left speaker in my 5.1 surround set up. This static is loud, crunchy, and varies in pitch and intensity with changes in the screen. Even actions as subtle as right clicking on the desktop will cause the static to vary. When speaker volume is turned up, the static increases to a surprisingly high volume.

My audio set up is as follows;

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97P-D3
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K9R1OCW/?tag=pcp0f-21

Sound card: Asus Xonar DG
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Xonar-PCI-Audio-Card/dp/B003ZXDOL6

Speakers: Logitech Z506s
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Z506-Surround-Sound-Speakers/dp/B003WJR482

In this set up, 3 3.5mm cables corresponding to the 6 channels leave the sound card and enter the panel at the back of the Sub Woofer, and from there 4 audio cables and 1 serial cable leave the Sub Woofer to the 5 speakers (the serial cable is for the speaker w/ volume control).

I have tested the offending speaker in the other audio outputs, and it does not exhibit any static when plugged into them, including if it is plugged into the other side speaker channel. This leads me to believe it is not the physical speaker. The static stops when I remove the 3.5mm cable corresponding to the side channels from the sound card or the sub woofer. I replaced this 3.5mm cable with my own, and the static returned, so I do not believe it is a faulty cable.

The beginning of this problem seemed to coincide with me downloading the latest NVidia drivers, that come with an HD audio driver. I have deleted this driver, rolled back my NVidia drivers and downloaded the latest Asus drivers for my sound card, so I don't believe drivers are the problem, however the timing seems almost too perfect for a coincidence.

It seems to me that either my sound card is busted, or the side left audio channel out on my speakers is busted.

Can anybody shed any light on this issue? I'm completely at a loss, and I'm hoping there's a fix which doesn't involve me just buying new speakers or a new sound card.

Cheers,

~M

Solution
In a 5.1 system there are rear channels not side. I will call them side so you can follow.
Your have determined that the speaker itself is not at fault.
Now you need to find out if the problem is in the speaker amplifiers or in the PC. Connect the front channel output cable of the PC to the side input on the woofer. If the noise remains on the same speaker then the problem is in the speaker system electronics. If it no longer happens then connect the "side" out of the PC to the front input on the sub. If the noise now comes out the the front speaker then you know the problem is in the PC.
Now the issue is whether the driver or soundcard is at fault. If you roll back the driver and it stops then you know the driver was at fault. If it...
In a 5.1 system there are rear channels not side. I will call them side so you can follow.
Your have determined that the speaker itself is not at fault.
Now you need to find out if the problem is in the speaker amplifiers or in the PC. Connect the front channel output cable of the PC to the side input on the woofer. If the noise remains on the same speaker then the problem is in the speaker system electronics. If it no longer happens then connect the "side" out of the PC to the front input on the sub. If the noise now comes out the the front speaker then you know the problem is in the PC.
Now the issue is whether the driver or soundcard is at fault. If you roll back the driver and it stops then you know the driver was at fault. If it continues then the soundcard is the problem.

Solution