Help booting from external drive?

Paragone

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
I just got the Acer E5-571-53S1, which comes with 8.1 installed on it. I have an SSD which has been running 8.1 for a few months already. I want to be able to boot into my SSD, which you know is a lot faster than these old disk drives.
So I stick the SSD into an external enclosure (USB3.0) and try to boot the laptop, but the laptop just ignores the SSD and boots into the stock drive.

How do I get the laptop to stop booting the disk drive, and boot from the external SSD instead? Thank you for your time.

Paragone

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

In the boot menu, there is UEFI/Legacy as boot options. Currently under UEFI, I can attempt to boot to Windows Boot Manager, the stock HDD, USB HDD, USB CDROM, USB FDD, Network IPv4, v6, and CDROM. Tried the 1st boot option to USB everything, but the laptop just ignores the external and boots into the internal drive.

curtis_87

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Have you also checked that to see if there is an sub order to the hdd boot sequence... sometimes the external hard drive gets thrown into the list of the internal hdd, so for example there are 2 orders the main order for each device type, then a sub order for each device, so you may have external hdd enabled but its actually the second item in the sub menu for the hdd boot sequence.

Paragone

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

I know what you're referring to, but the BIOS doesn't have such option. Just the options I listed earlier. Even if I manually try to choose the boot device pressing F12, only Windows Boot Manager options shows up.

curtis_87

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
hold upp, this external ssd that has 8.1 on it, ut wasnt in the same laptop was it? reason I ask is
1. the drivers etc that will load from that SSD will not be representative of the laptops hdd..so if it loads it is more than likely going to bsod unless the architecture that 8.1 was installed from onto the SSD is almost identical to that of the laptop...

2. check around in your bios, and see if there is an option to change the boot type or bios type from "efi" to something like "classic bios" and then re-order them to boot from the connected external..I have seen something similar to this before, the EFI bios wouldnt hand off the boot the external hdd but once the setting was changed back to classic bios type it was ok.