Help choosing a amp for a HTPC

JumJumJR

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
I know next to nothing about home audio, but I know I need a amp to plug speakers in to my sound card. From what I understand, you connect your sound card to a amp, then the speakers get connected to the amp, which powers them (correct me if I'm wrong) But other than that, I have no knowledge of home audio.
So my question is, what do I look for in a amp, and how do I choose one?

My speakers: Acoustic Audio GX400 1200W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1620SX8888

My sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy RX 7.1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102063&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Solution
Sorry about missing them not being active. I just looked at the price and figured there was no way speakers in this price range are going to require an AMP.

In this case though, the price of the AMP is more than the speakers. It would be better just to buy better active speakers instead of spending nearly double the price of the speakers on the AMP.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
First let me explain a few things.

An amp is simply a device to increase the loudness of an audio component. In your case it isn't needed. Those 1200w should already have enough boom so that an amp isn't needed.

In addition, an amp should always be last on your list for upgrades to your audio system. They provide the least benefit. They are more useful if you were using headphones since certain headphones need an amp to sound right.

You should always upgrade audio equipment in this fashion, Output Devices(Speakers / Headphones) - DAC - AMP. In your case, both your speakers and DAC (Your sound card) need an upgrade before you consider an amp.

JumJumJR

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014

So I DON'T need an amp to power my speakers? All I do is plug my speakers in to my sound card, right?

Cristi72

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014

Hello,

You will need of course a power amplifier to drive your speakers. The specs says 300W RMS, but I guess that rating is grossly overestimated; given their price and the fact I cannot find anything reliable infos about the speakers (no webpage or at least a picture with the label from the back; also, no infos about their impedance), I would not drive these speakers with more of 50 Watts of power. You can go with this (a mediocre amplifier, but it works with 4-ohm speakers also, giving you better compatibility):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882180022, or try to find an old receiver/amplifier (to be sure, you must find one which will work with both 4- or 8- Ohm speakers).

Sorry, thor220, but these speakers aren't active speakers; they don't have a built-in amplifier, so at best they will only whisper when directly hooked onto the audio card.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Sorry about missing them not being active. I just looked at the price and figured there was no way speakers in this price range are going to require an AMP.

In this case though, the price of the AMP is more than the speakers. It would be better just to buy better active speakers instead of spending nearly double the price of the speakers on the AMP.

Solution

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Good luck on your speaker hunt. You can usually find the best deals on used sets and they sound just as good as the new units. Just make sure you are buying for reputable sellers.