Help finding the right music phone -w physical keys

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I am having hard time finding a cell phone that’s right for me. I’m hoping you guys can help me again.

Here’s the refined list of the features I'd like to have (finally got it all figured, i think):

- Music player that can play any song by searching for its name by keyword.
------ The phone must have physical keys to allow me to blindly pause, rewind, or skip tracks right out of my pocket.
------ Preferably not a transformer phone (slide/morph/split…)
------ 3.5mm standard jack or a good reason why it doesn’t have it (remote control that allows me all of the above while it itself has the 3.5mm jack - an example of a good reason)
------ I’m a music addict and the above are the primary functions for me. Correct me if I’m wrong, but touchscreens are out of the question because of this.

- Good camera. I’d like to take some pics occasionally. The mega pixel number is secondary to actual image quality. Still, I was thinking about 5mp.
------ 720p video would be nice, but not necessary.

- Wifi, naturally.
------ At least 320x240 and a 2” screen for some internet browsing
------ Ability to connect my win7 nettop to my phones wireless (not wifi) internet. Is this even possible?

- T9 keyboard preferable and I’d like to avoid qwerty.

That’s it. I wasn’t able to find a new phone that meets these criteria. The most recent one I could find was nokia n86 from 2009, but I can only find these used. I don’t care about price as much as I care about quality, and I prefer stability over speed. I also don’t care about the phone brand or US carriers as Im in Europe.

Am I looking for an imaginary phone and if not, what is its name?

Thank you!

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I was hoping to allow my win7 machine to use mobile internet without the need to buy a dedicated usb modem that uses a sim card and mobile internet to connect to internet.

the only phones you will find nowdays which may have physical buttons for music may be one of the media phone designs before the iphone and android were on the market. personally its not worth going back to 2g speeds and less compatability just for a few buttons.

an android phone can do everything you want besides provide physical media buttons. i'll list some features and then list a few possible solutions for the lack of buttons.

features you can easily find...
3.5mm jack
come in ts only, ts + kb, ts + slide kb flavors
good camera, 720/1080 video
480x800 or greater screen
connect pc to phones data conn via wifi (from phone) or tether
qwerty layouts are common but its easy to manage. t9 standard.
swype gesture kbs available.
many music app options available. all the features you need.

as far as not having physical buttons devoted to music... there are a few things you could do..

-use gestures on the lockscreen for commands. draw symbols on the lockscreen to run commands.
-shake the phone for skip (or other function)
-use the volume up/down buttons for skipping songs, reprogram the search key for pause/play. i'm sure its possible at least for volup voldwn i've seen programs take advantage of it before.
-use a custom lockscreen with large easy to press media buttons. once you know where they are you can use them without looking.

if you're still not happy... just go buy an ipod if you want a music player. they are meant to play music and can do so for 10x the duration of a phone. mine lasts for over 60hrs on a charge. my phone lasts 8 while playing.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
ssddx, thank you for your reply.

the whole point the described device would be to have everything I really need in one easy-to-carry-brick. Getting a dedicated music player and a camera would be better, but with a phone I'd have at least 3 devices that I need to carry around.

The need for physical buttons is so that I dont need to take out the phone out of my pocket just so I could adjust the volume/pause/stop/rewind or skip a track. My current phone does this extremely well, but it lacks a good camera and wifi. I dont think it outrageous to ask for such features out of a phone in 2011. It wasnt in 2009.

At any rate, I think I found the perfect phone for me- nokia n79. its a model from 2008, and I found it used for 70euros. Its such a reasonable price and it will get me started will I need right away.

If you can recommend me a new/modern phone that can do all of the basic functions I need, I'd surely give it a go too. I dont feel entirely comfortable using an old device.

phones of that nature were popular back in 2008 and 2009. they were known as media phones or something similar and featured volume rockers and media control buttons built into the phones.

in the world of smartphones they would be known as dumbphones, and there are not very many of those available on the market today. maybe like 5-7 at most (and quite a few are very basic) from most carriers.

while i agree that physical buttons could be handy, you just aren't going to find them anymore . the solutions i suggested will work if you dont want an old phone but will require a little bit of change on your part. give some take some you know..

---

i can understand you wanting many devices in one. my own phone serves as a pandora radio, mobile web, phone, camera and navigation device. the downfall is that while you have everything with you... there isnt enough battery juice at times to do everything.

when you play mp3 files normally you do it for several hours (i play mine for at least 5-8) which WILL drain the battery on any newer phone much quicker than it would on an ipod or similar device. so yes while devices will do what you want, it might be a good idea to have a charger on it while you do so (or get a mp3 player just for music).

i gave you the options...listen to them...disregard them...it doesnt bother me any. i'm just saying that you will not find a brand spankin new device that meets every single one of your criteria.......at least none that i've heard of...and i've been looking at phones alot lately.

rafi4375

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
insisting on these physical keys is,i think,a bad idea.the nokia 600 is a good MUSIC phone.it has many features that you may not even expect.also,buying a stereo bluetooth headset with controls (such as the nokia BH-111) will solve your 'physical key' problems a little.

rose-marry

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Micromax Canvas Music A88 is best music phone.