Help Fixing hard to press key on laptop.

zombi3010.steam

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
The middle mouse button needs to be pressed down really hard on my Lenovo ThinkPad X220. I have removed the key cap to see if anything is stuck in there but it all looks clean. I also removed and put back in the little rubber membrane to see if that helped at all. would really appreciate some advice on how to troubleshoot and/or fix the problem please?

Sorry if this is in the wrong category it was not immediately obvious to me where to put it.

In most cases the best option is to just replace the mouse. Fixing the button may not be possible without actually replacing the button. Which could wind up costing you more in time and effort, not to mention the part, than it would to get a new mouse.

zombi3010.steam

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018

Thanks for replying. unfortunately on the X220 the mouse buttons are part of the keyboard. would have to replace the whole thing and the original keyboard replacements are ludicrously expensive. there are things like the greencell replacements but they are not the same as the original keyboard. I was hoping to fix it rather than replace it because I really like the original keyboard on this laptop.

also I probably should have mentioned that the mouse buttons where part of the keyboard in my first post, but this also means that the work in almost exactly the same way as the letter keys do as far as I can tell.

I see. Then it may well be possible to replace the button, the problem I am thinking though is if it isn't the physical button but the component underneath (the true connection). If that is the case, then I don't know a way to replace that part alone.

Anyone else?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
flowstate Laptop Tech Support 2
RegisZDB Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 0
B Laptop Tech Support 0
J Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 5
Irisviel Laptop Tech Support 2
R Laptop Tech Support 3