Help getting better gaming preformance on my Notebook

farsearch

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hey guys I have a very weak notebook with a integrated graphics/processor it can run pretty much anything pre 2008 but I'm looking for some things I could do to get a better performance out of it for some MMO's (SW:TOR, LoL). Im willing to buy more ram or upgrade the processor (if possible), just any suggestions would be great. Also would updating the drivers help?

I can't invest in a new PC and the GFX card isn't replacable so please don't tell me my specs are not made for gaming because I already understand that, I'm just looking for some tips or things I can upgrade so I can get a better performance until I can shell out dough for a desktop.

Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit (HP Pavillion Dv6)
Intel Core i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3 GHZ
4096 MB RAM
DX 11
Intel HD Graphics (Core i3)

Also anyway I could upgrade that i3 to an i5 or i7?

Thanks in advance.

farsearch

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Well why not?

I can already run quite allot on this just looking to up my FPS a little or whatever and I'm willing to shell out a bit of dough to do it. Really an underrated card in my opinion but I'd love to up my FPS for MMO's.

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Farsearch,
One thing that has helped me improve fps a "little" on my old Dell Studio 1555 (with integrated graphics) is,
1. Stay plugged in to AC. at least 95watt or better although higher wattage will not be a big difference. (I have a 150watt and yeah, its a little better than the original 90...)
2. Change windows 7 theme to "windows Classic".
3. If your not playing online, disable your wifi card and close your security system. (via task manager)
4. Also close any other "extra" programs, like in my case the Dell Dock as well as webcam program, printer programs ect... anything down in the taskbar that you dont need. (I usually go through my taskmanager and just start closing everything except what I know I have to have.)
5. Ahh, turn your power option to "high performance". ;) I have configured mine so it has "active cooling" so the fans start up at 55C instead of 65C and stayon till it goes down to 30C instead of the original 40C... That way it doesnt downclock the processer when it gets to hot...
I have a low performance computer anyways but I did notice a 5-7fps gain in racing games. Fp shooters, eh about the same... Maybe about 5ish... So it may seem like alot of work for little gain but when you dont have $$ to upgrade, its worth it! :D

farsearch

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Thanks for your help I was able to up my FPS a little!!!!

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
No problem! And yeah, the next thing to do if you wanted to dump more $$ into it is drop in an ssd... (a 64gb SSD is about $100...) :ouch:

So anything with a decent ammout of space = $$$. :p

I would actually use that money towards a new laptop. Eventually (sooner rather than later) you will find that even with all the little tweaks you can make and all the graphic and resolution you can minimize, newer games will simply not be playable enough to be enjoyable. Don't invest more money in something that is already considered obsolete when gaming is involved.

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

My thoughts Exactly! Thats why Im kinda against the ssd idea... (if you are going to center your laptop around gaming...)

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

It would be better performance, faster load times etc... But if I were you, I would put that $$ into a new Sagar laptop. (made for gaming.)

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

Although this is for nvidia cards, you might give this a try. (first read on,) http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601209

Overclocking on a laptop? Eeer... I'm not too sure on that particular topic. But if you can overclock that i3 laptop via FSB, (overclocking program) then you would be overclocking the iGPU as well since the iGPU clock is tied to BCLK.

I wouldnt try it though, heat is a bigger issue on lappys than desktops. Also your cpu is already really good and its really your gpu thats holding you back. (which, is part of your cpu as far as I know...)