Help in reducing laptop temperature

WeiJieee

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Hello,

I own a Clevo N550RC and recently I noticed that the laptop is quite hot when gaming.
It has an i7-6700HQ with Nvidia GTX 950m and the highest I ever saw the temperature was reaching 90°C on one of the sensors, and the cores were at 80°C+ with the GPU at 70°C+. Is this laptop temperature okay or should I do something about it. I use a Cooler Master X3 with it. Please advice.

Solution

If you were gaming cpu/gpu intensive games like GTA V or BF4 then it's ok for it to heat up.. Like ccampy suggested you can get some external cooling if you like but won't help much, maybe 5-6C lower

Proofy

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
Laptop's temperature are higher than dekstops because it's more compact with less airflow. However you can open it and clean it from dust. Especially the fan, dissasemble the fan completely and clean it. Canned compressed air also helps a lot to remove dust from laptops

WeiJieee

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

The computer was about a month old though. I was worried for awhile when I saw the 90c temperature and I quickly turned off the game I was playing.

Proofy

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014

If you were gaming cpu/gpu intensive games like GTA V or BF4 then it's ok for it to heat up.. Like ccampy suggested you can get some external cooling if you like but won't help much, maybe 5-6C lower

Solution

WeiJieee

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

Thanks for your help, glad to know that its okay to be around 80c to 90c. I was playing Burnout Paradise on Max Graphics Settings, that should have contributed to the high temps. Shall lower down the graphics.

Proofy

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014

You can lower something that eats a lot of cpu/gpu power like fxaa, no need to lower all video settings