Help me choose a laptop for music production please

dahmon77

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015
yes, this question again haha

I'm looking for a good laptop mostly to produce EDM music using Fruity Loops and/or Ableton Live. I plan on using it for Djing as well. That is about all I need to use it for. My price range would be about $1000. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Without going to a specialized unit, which is much more expensive and not really necessary, I'd suggest this MSI unit. Shielded audio, i7, plenty of RAM and HDD space, discreet graphics in the event you will use it for display visuals as well as audio (Or just want to play games when you're not peddling music) and a backlit keyboard which is a must have when the venue is not well lit or for dark clubs. The shielded audio is designed for high end gaming, so you know it's good. Even standard laptop audio these days is better than the best audio cards from 5-8 years ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152559
Without going to a specialized unit, which is much more expensive and not really necessary, I'd suggest this MSI unit. Shielded audio, i7, plenty of RAM and HDD space, discreet graphics in the event you will use it for display visuals as well as audio (Or just want to play games when you're not peddling music) and a backlit keyboard which is a must have when the venue is not well lit or for dark clubs. The shielded audio is designed for high end gaming, so you know it's good. Even standard laptop audio these days is better than the best audio cards from 5-8 years ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152559

Solution

dahmon77

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015

thank you for your response. 2.8 GHz is really freaking good (that is what i believe) so it will run fast, about the audio, did you say that it was super good? and also do you own this laptop or just know a shit ton about laptops. Thank you very much.

Since I work on them and other computers on a daily basis, doing repairs, builds, custom mods, troubleshooting and various other software related work, for clients, and have owned laptops made by every major manufacturer, you could just say I know a shit ton. Heh.

I don't own THAT particular unit, nor have I worked on THAT particular unit, but I did a thorough background check on it and it passed with a good grade. The audio is shielded, which means it's much less likely to pick up any "voltage noise" from the rest of the system, like fan motors, capacitors and other hardware, which on an unshielded unit would transfer that sound to the audio circuits.

That i5 that comes with it is 2.8Ghz base clock, but it turbos to 3.4Ghz under loads, and while it's only a dual core i5, it has hyperthreading and is capable of four thread processing, which keeps it competitive. It also has a good GPU, so if you want to output to multiple sources or extended desktops, you can do that, for shows and such, in addition to your regular display on the desktop.

I've owned a DJ and Karaoke business, doing weddings, bars and private parties, for about ten years, and considering the units I've used, and still use, that have nowhere near this units ability, that work perfectly fine in all situations, you'll have no issues that I can see.

dahmon77

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015

Thank you for all your help

TRENDING THREADS