Help me choose! (processor question)

link_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I have been looking for a budget laptop to help me do some programming and work when my desktop is not available(mild games like cs go and LoL are not bad to run), but i cant wrap around my head which is better.
Every benchmark or review says different things and im losing my mind!
The laptops I can choose between have:
same price range:
i3-4005u
i3-4030u
amd a8-6410
amd a8-7100
more expensive:
i5-4210u

The ram is 4gb on most of them except one that has a8-6410 and 8gb of ram. What should I pay attention to most?
Thank you! :)

Solution
I5 is still the most cost effective one, it has turbo boost which help for single thread workloads (almost 50% better). In multi thread workloads, the I5 and I3 are not too much different (I5 is better by 10%), since both are 2 core processor with hyperthreading. The question you need to ask yourself, do you think you will benefit from the single thread boost?
one other point to note, if you are not concern about single thread performance, then you may want to consider AMD A8 options, as both of them will offer better gfx out put than I3 integrated gpu.

in gaming AMD APU>Intel
In office and programming Intel>AMD
So to simply your question, if AMD A8 is in your price range, you may want to pick that over I3.
Difference between A8 vs I5...

link_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Being the most expensive one,I'd like to see how much of a difference it is from the others, I'm kinda on a low budget, so a 70-80 euros difference is kinda big to me. Thanks though :)

John Lin

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Difference is actually pretty big, I would say it worth the extra cost, in the long run, it can mean delay laptop replacement for 1 or even 2 extra years. When I try to google the cpu, the name does not come up correctly, it show me I7-4510U instead, can you double check the cpu names and model?

link_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Haha you are right, it is i5-4210u,corrected it on the main post too! ;)

John Lin

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
I5 is still the most cost effective one, it has turbo boost which help for single thread workloads (almost 50% better). In multi thread workloads, the I5 and I3 are not too much different (I5 is better by 10%), since both are 2 core processor with hyperthreading. The question you need to ask yourself, do you think you will benefit from the single thread boost?
one other point to note, if you are not concern about single thread performance, then you may want to consider AMD A8 options, as both of them will offer better gfx out put than I3 integrated gpu.

in gaming AMD APU>Intel
In office and programming Intel>AMD
So to simply your question, if AMD A8 is in your price range, you may want to pick that over I3.
Difference between A8 vs I5 is gaming vs working. I5 will improve your programming experience, while A8 will improve your gaming experience.

Solution

link_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Thanks for your help John! I'll keep in mind what you said when I make my decision :)