Help me decide between 2 laptops. More CPU or more GPU? Cheers

jippee

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Hi there. Studying Masters in Architecture next year and need a new laptop.
Please help me decide which is the best laptop as I will be using it for Photoshop, Revit, 3ds Max, C4D and After Effects. I will also want to play some games on it too but not too worried about perfect gfx. I am already tending to the first laptop because of its RAM size, but want to hear some other opinions. The prices are the same for each laptop and links are at the bottom.

Which is the better GFX card? If the nVidia is better does it make up for the lower CPU and lower RAM size in Laptop 2?

Laptop 1:
•Lenovo Ideapad 320-15IKB
•Intel 7th Gen Kabylake Core i7-7500U - 3.50GHz Processor
•8GB DDR4 RAM
•1TB Hard Drive
•15.6" FHD 1920 x 1080 Anti-Glare Screen
•AMD Radeon 530 2GB GDDR5 Dedicated Graphics

Laptop 2:
•Asus K541UJ Series 7th gen K541UJ-DM491T Black Notebook
•Intel Core i7 Kaby Lake Dual Core i7-7500U 2.7Ghz with Turbo Boost up to •3.5Ghz 4MB L3 Cache Processor
•4GB DDR4 Memory
•1TB 5400rpm SATA Hard
•15.6" FULL HD (1920 x 1080 resolution) Non Gloss Type LED Backlit Display
•nVidia Geforce 920MX with 2GB dedicated graphics

Laptop 1: https://www.evetech.co.za/lenovo-ideapad-320-core-i7-laptop-deal/laptops-for-sale/5783.aspx
Laptop 2: https://www.laptopdirect.co.za/Asus-K541UJ-DM491T-lp-157965.php

Thanks for the help and explanation of which is better.
Regards
Darren

Solution
Neither. Your budget and your needs aren't matching up imo. The dual-core CPUs are identical so I am not sure where the more CPU came from. The tasks you mentioned aren't something those laptops are prepared for. Maybe double or triple your budget and someone could offer an appropriate solution.

aaronk1994

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
I had the Lenovo Y510P, one sad laptop, build quality was bad, the gpu fan had plastic blocking the van, bios was useless.
What I'm saying is id go with Asus over Lenovo.

aquielisunari

Distinguished
Neither. Your budget and your needs aren't matching up imo. The dual-core CPUs are identical so I am not sure where the more CPU came from. The tasks you mentioned aren't something those laptops are prepared for. Maybe double or triple your budget and someone could offer an appropriate solution.

Solution