Help me get rid of counterflix please

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdmackay

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
Hi,

Recently my computer has started acting up a lot. Pages don't load properly on Firefox, and lots of pop-ups and ads are appearing even though I have an adblocker. Some of the ads say 'by counterflix' on them so I believe it is the problem.

xPhrRrp.png

That symbol on the left is the counterflix thing and I can't get rid of it. It doesn't appear in the list of installed programs, it doesn't appear as an add on in any of my browsers.
I ran spyhunter and it got rid of a bunch of threats, but alas this damn thing is still there. Also ran Malwarebytes.

Really don't know what to do about it now and I think the longer I leave it, the more damage it'll do. Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

hdmackay

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016

I tried that but as I said most of the things it tells you to do like removing it from control panel/browsers etc. doesn't show anything for me.
and I can't seem to find any of those registries. As far as I can see you can't search in the registry editor either.

Jaystemple

Prominent
May 8, 2017

Did you ever get an answer? I have had the same issue for weeks. There is NO Chrome app showing, and there is NO uninstaller listed. And yes, I have triple checked all the programs listed in my add/remove list. I have a very clean system with VERY few programs so I have accounted for everything listed.

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

I may have a potential solution to this problem (it worked for me),comrade.

First go to network and sharing center; then go to change adapter settings; then local area connection or wireless connection(depends on what you use, eg wifi or cable); then properties > IP v4 properties and final click on advanced tab.

On the advanced TCP/IP settings go to the DNS tab if you see some junk DNS server adress like 82.163.143.176 / 82.163.142.174 remove it then add google DNS server address (8.8.8.8) and clear your browsers cache, the problem should be fixed.

Feb 8, 2018

You're the best thing that could happen in while! your solution was spot on and I, after unsuccessfully trying zillions of other methods to get rid of counterflix, now have managed to see a clean webpage in a long while!
Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.