Help me Pimp this old laptop.

Nodyzin

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
I got a old Dell XPS M1530 that was just collecting some dust inside my closet. I got a daughter that loves watch YouTube videos and play some minecraft games. The problem is that she does it on my new ( a lot more expensive laptop). I was wanting to do a some upgrades on the old one and let her use without having to worry too much. I want her out of my new one lol.

The old one has windows vista 32bits and is slow really slow. It has like so many toolbars and ramdon stuff on it that I have no idea where it came from.

Anti virus is expired but I do have a code I can use to activate it on it.

Specifications:
CPU: Intel dual core T8300 2.40GHz
Socket P (478)
Memory: 4GB DDR2
GPU: Nvida Gforce 8600M GT

I was playing around with it yesterday and saw that I have easy access to CPU, Memory and hard drive.

What would be some good options on upgrading the CPU?

The internet on it seems to not be working right some times when I turn it on it connects right away and other times gives error messages saying something is wrong with ththe network adaptor (I think). If I buy one of those USB wireless connectors will it fix that ?

Should I upgrade From vista to windows 10? Can I use my old key to activate it after or will I need to buy new key ?

Thanks!

Something right away you can do, and free, is to restore that puppy to its factory condition. As time goes by, computers accumulates lots of cruds that will slow it down.

1. Run a s.m.a.r.t. util to ascertain the heath of the HD. A dying HD slows things down considerably.
2. Restore to Factory, Clean.

Then u can decide whether to throw more$ to it and if even worth it.