help! My toshiba laptop has a low RTC battery and my laptop battery has 0% and won't charge even if it's plugged

Paul_1000

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
My toshiba Satellite P845-S4200 battery won't charge. It currently have 0% battery, but the laptop itself still works when connected to a charger. It also has a pop-up message whenever I turn on the laptop that says it has low RTC battery, change date/time. How can I charge my laptop battery? Does a low RTC battery affect my laptop battery?

Solution
All laptops will run from the charger when the battery is dead ... provided the battery is not short.

I suggest you clean the terminals on the battery with an eraser ... charge it ... if it does not work buy a new one.

In the meantime you can run it from the charger ... the low RTC battery is a small lithium battery inside the laptop. In order to charge it leave the laptop connected to the charger for 24 hrs.

All laptops will run from the charger when the battery is dead ... provided the battery is not short.

I suggest you clean the terminals on the battery with an eraser ... charge it ... if it does not work buy a new one.

In the meantime you can run it from the charger ... the low RTC battery is a small lithium battery inside the laptop. In order to charge it leave the laptop connected to the charger for 24 hrs.

Solution
Your laptop is somewhat old. It was released back in 2012 so that means the laptop was manufactured back in 2012 or 2013. For a perfectly working laptop, the battery is typically the first thing to die. If you want to use your laptop away from the AC outlet, then you simply need to buy a new battery. Below is a link to a replacement battery for your laptop. Note that this is not an official Toshiba battery, it is a "knock off".

http://www.battdepot.com/us/model/notebook+battery/toshiba/satellite+p845-s4200/lts232.aspx

The RTC battery is also known as a CMOS battery. It can be charged up when the laptop is plugged in, but as I stated above, for perfectly working laptops, the batteries are typically the first thing to die. If it does not charge, then it needs to be replaced. Doing a Google search, it seems it is hard to find a place that sells a replacement RTC battery for your laptop. The link below is a UK site that sells the battery internationally.

http://www.genuine-cmos-battery.co.uk/toshiba-satellite-p845-s4200-cmos-battery.html

Nope the RTC battery does not affect the main battery.

I assume the battery you bought is not an official Toshiba brand battery for that laptop. The problem with 3rd party laptop batteries is they could be cheap knockoffs with limited lifespan.