HELP! New Build lost display after 'force' off....HELP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hi everyone,

Ok, I'm totally stumped now...

Just built my new desktop and I was at the point of installing the OS, when I got the "DVD driver missing" error and I tried to shut down.....didn't work, so I swtiched it off at the PSU.

Since then, I cannot get the desktop to display again!! (turns on, but no display)

There is no onboard graphics, so I have to rely on the GPU....connected to a 22" Samsung monitor via DVI.

Breadboarded, and same situation. In addition, I couldn't turn it off (via screwdriver) and again had to turn the PSU off.

Specs:
Athlon X4 860k
Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mobo
16GB RipjawsX
HIS Radeon R9 280 IceQ OC 3GB
Case, Thermaltake Core V21
750 Corsair modular PSU

Any thoughts????

One point, the risers are bent in the case itself, so there are no "standoffs" installed.

I don't want to reset CMOS, as I understand this would revert the BIOS back to original. I can't do that as without the flashed BIOS (I got at Memory Express), the Mobo won't support my CPU.

I'm so confused. I would understand if nothing had displayed initially, but to get as far as ready to install the OS for an issue to arrise, I'm at a total loss.

I'd appreciate any help/suggestions.

Solution
check that the rear io shield metal not faling into the usb or ethernet ports. make sure it not shorting anything on the bottom of the mb. if the case mb tray is not flat but raised..the weight of the gpu may be making the mb short out to the bottom of the tray. check all your cables for a cut and or short. look at the front case panel make sure the wires are on tight and nut cut or shorted.
check that the rear io shield metal not faling into the usb or ethernet ports. make sure it not shorting anything on the bottom of the mb. if the case mb tray is not flat but raised..the weight of the gpu may be making the mb short out to the bottom of the tray. check all your cables for a cut and or short. look at the front case panel make sure the wires are on tight and nut cut or shorted.

Solution
It's brand new. I don't have another one to heck with unfortunately.

I'm going to take it to Memory Express today, hopefully they can take a look & diagnose. I'll report back.

Probably going to end up paying for a new mb, while the store deal with the manufacturer (wish I'd taken the in-store replacement now! Typical)

So, they're keeping it in to diagnose (free of charge!). So far they've ruled out the mb, but are looking at the CPU & potentially the GPU. Something's DOA & I'm within the return period, so whatever it is will be replaced. Phew! Fingers crossed for smooth sailing now

Ok. Picked it up. Appears functional at the moment (I'll test more when I get home).

I've now spotted a bunch of negative reviews for this PSU online (this one was recommended in-store as the one I'd selected wouldn't run...apparently). Corsair CX750 reviews certainly dont fill me with confidence.

If it fails again, it'll be replaced with something else, with better reviews.