HELP!? No dual GPU on a model that explicitly stated so?

Kukushka

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hey forum,

I have bought a Pavilion Laptop with A6 processor and a "AMD Radeon HD 6520G Dual GPU Graphics" from the official HP UK site:

http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelaptops/product.php?id=QH951EA&experience=direct

However I am having some issues finding/or activating the second GPU. To be more precise I am having doubts about its existence! I.e even reading through the description of the Laptop it says 6520G Dual GPU while Dual gpu is usually labelled as a g2 (e.g 6520g2).

With the AMD APUs, Dual gpu/dual graphics stands for APU+ Discrete gpu wired in crossfire within the laptop, and HP, a company which I would not usually consider for laptops, had a whole range of G2 and Dual graphics models, however- the one I bought seems to be an anomaly.

Folks? Any tips to check if there are two GPUs/discrete GPU + APU?

Sincerely yours,

Dmitry

Hello Kukushka;

No where in any of the spec sheets is a 2nd discrete GPU listed. Not sure what that 'Dual GPU Graphics' graphics is about.

I don't believe there is a 2nd graphics card installed in that laptop.
What did HP say when you called them?

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Basically the system will run off teh one in teh CPU most of the time and probably only use the dedicated GPU for games and HD video. Much like a low power mode Nvidia setup does.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I'd get in touch with HP and ask exactly how this is a "dual graphics" system since it even claims to be on their own site. Sounds like deceptive marketing to me.

Kukushka

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Replied that Dual GPU= Can connect two monitors.....

Then after I tought the customer support some Tech lessons, they sent me to their tech support, and voiala- it was closed for Saturday reasons.

Will get back to them on Monday... those buggers have really ticked me off- also all benchmarks I run - yield single APU results- and not Double GPU.

The very first thing that made me think you might not have a discrete GPU was the price.

They could have made the marketing spiel clearer.
'Dual Graphics' vs 'Dual Graphics Displays'

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Actually they phrased it "Dual GPU graphics" which is blatantly lying considering there is no dual GPU involved at all. They're also trying to capitalize on AMD's Dual Graphics crossfire, even though that would involve a discrete GPU. For the record, even the integrated APU is capable of dual monitor, so you can stop trying to look for a second GPU. You been tricked by HP's deceptive marketing.

-1 HP.

It might be an honest typo on HP's website. I myself am a bit confused by AMD's dual GPU naming convention.

In any case, it sounds like you are really disappointed by your purchase so I recommend you return it for a refund if you still have time to do so.

Kukushka

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hey folks.

Spoke to their Customer Support. They will pick up the laptop, and also give me a £20 voucher for future purchases.

Their position is:

Support -You bought a laptop HP Pavilion g7-1204sa. You received HP Pavilion g7-1204sa. Therefore it is YOUR fault that it does not satisfy you!"
Me - But the computer described on the website it not the product that I got? There is no dual graphics!
Support - Sorry but you chose this product, and we have sent you the correct model, so if you are not happy with the technical specs- please return it.
Me - But this is deceptive advertising on-line! The product that I received does not fit the description on-line! Will you at least remedy it for future customers and take a note of this complaint?
Support - Sorry but you chose this product, and we have sent you the correct model, so if you are not happy with the technical specs- please return it.

Ahh well, the one time I decide to have a bit of faith in HP, it tries to hand me a " DUAL GPU 6520G".

Beware folks and check the pcs you get.

fxcross

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Hi, I'm in the same situation as you but with a samsung, which is support told me they had two models, one with dual gpu and the other not, but all models were saying the same thing, if you find a solution, respond.