Help on Home Audio set up with Bookshelf speakers (Soundblaster X7)

BAMFGOHAN

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Hi all,

So I've put myself in a little pickle.

My current set up on my computer: I have a Soundblaster X7 connected to 2 EMU XM7 bookshelf speakers and a 10 inch Polk subwoofer (PSW10).

I just was just gifted the Audio engine A5+, 8 inch audio engine subwoofer (S8), and the Audio engine D1 DAC.

I was wondering what I should do in terms of switching up my set up?
I was thinking of putting my Soundblaster set up in my living room and using the audio engine set up for my computer.
But I was wondering if I use the Soundblaster X7 in my living room, if there is an easy way I can control the volume of my set up(without the soundblaster app)?
Is it practical to use the soundblaster X7 as my living room home audio set up?
Should I add a receiver/ blue ray player? (If so how would that help)
I have a 4k TV with HDMI ARC, is there something I can do with this to help me control the Soundblaster x7s volume?

I need some advice from what you guys would do?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
your choice on which speaker system you want in each room. neither look really suitable for "large" rooms though.

again, your choice if you want the x7 in the living room. 50w bookshelves are okay for up to medium sized rooms i would say.

the volume knob on the x7 is what you would need to use for volume

practical? while i think the x7 and emu xm7 are overpriced compared to what you could get for home theater solutions which may do a better job... as long as your room is not too large it should certainly suffice. its not unheard of for people to use small hifi systems, pc speakers or similar in living rooms.

you would need to check the impedance (ohm) and wattage vs a receivers specs if using one but there are a few improvements...
your choice on which speaker system you want in each room. neither look really suitable for "large" rooms though.

again, your choice if you want the x7 in the living room. 50w bookshelves are okay for up to medium sized rooms i would say.

the volume knob on the x7 is what you would need to use for volume

practical? while i think the x7 and emu xm7 are overpriced compared to what you could get for home theater solutions which may do a better job... as long as your room is not too large it should certainly suffice. its not unheard of for people to use small hifi systems, pc speakers or similar in living rooms.

you would need to check the impedance (ohm) and wattage vs a receivers specs if using one but there are a few improvements. mostly: remote control, multi-source switching, video passthrough, if using a 5.1 model.. easier to upgrade to better speakers in the future.

as far as a blue ray player.. that depends on if you need blueray playing capability.

the x7 does take optical input so should be fine for any 2.0 sources and most should support optical output. the x7 is also a small box compared with a large receiver.

the x7 is not hdmi arc compatible. you may be able to use a hdmi-arc compatible audio extractor with optical output to get audio from the tv if it lacks any optical outputs but otherwise arc does not benefit you. apparently there is an ios/android app for it but no actual remote control option.

Solution