Help Requested! GPU problem.

Emil_Budev

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
Dear forum,

I have never before posted on such a forum, but for 12 years of being computer maniac ( degree in computer science, gaming, etc.) I have never been so desperate. So here's the thing - during quite the session doing various stuff including playing, my computer was crashing with blue screen of death a few times with different errors. First thing that came to my mind was using dxdiag to see what is going on. Here is what i got ( including specifications ) :

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: Hp ProBook 4540s
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8CPUs,)~2,2GHz
Memory:8192MB RAM
DiretX Version: DirectX 12

Display
Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Chip Type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC Type: Internal
Device Type: Full Display Device
Approx. Total Memory: 1792MB
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Render
Name: AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series
Chip Type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6841)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Render-Only Display Device
Approx. Total Memory: 5868MB
Monitor: n/a

I also tried to update all my video drivers, although I clearly understand the problem comes from my AMD Radeon graphic card which I believe not to be working. I tried a few times installing the newest driver from Radeon page ( Radeon Crimson Beta driver 16.2.1) from which I understood that Radeon wont support any more software for this particular set of graphics cards so they released final beta driver. I installed a few different Radeon Catalyst Managers but each time, the driver that was being installed ( AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M and AMD Radeon HD7650M ) was not making any difference, even tho in device manager and dxdiag diagnostic everything was looking quite alright).

I also used WhoCrashed application to read my minidump files from the blue screen of death crashes so here what i got :

On Tue 21/03/2017 02:00:29 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\032117-81187-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14E7C0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8018BCD07E7)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 21/03/2017 02:00:29 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8018BCD07E7)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 20/03/2017 15:19:05 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\032017-89062-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14E7C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0xD, 0xFFFF922EC0052BF0, 0xFF0D0807FF0E0806, 0x55E87D2DCC3E8C50)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

On Sun 19/03/2017 22:22:27 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\031917-106375-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32kfull.sys (win32kfull+0x7E49B)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFE58F20FFE49B, 0xFFFFC401150B47C0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32kfull.sys
description: Full/Desktop Win32k Kernel Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 19/03/2017 20:13:04 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\031917-112578-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A6F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF800E8AF32C6, 0xFFFFB280C21B37D0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

I have desperately searching the web and different forums to find out whether I can fix this problem or my graphic card is long gone, which would mean I wont be able to neither game or advance through my studies ( for which I used NetBeans and Java to do build desktop application). I also had an idea to use my 2 external monitors ( HDMI and VGA ports ) to use instead of my laptop monitor and graphic card, but as far as I understood thats not impossible - everything should be rendered through my computer graphic card first). The whole thing is such a problem, because I am not sure if I can afford to buy/replace my whole system or parts of it and I am kind of running late on deadlines and stuff.

Any advice, suggestion or ideas for fixes are more than welcome and appreciated!
Please let me know

Sincerely yours,
Emil

From your information, you have a software issue, or a driver conflict.

I would run DDU in safe mode: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
That'll fully remove all display driver traces.

Then install the last 'live' driver (avoid BETAs): http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+10+-+64
15.7.1 is the latest. It's older, but it should be known, working.

If you still have the same problem persisting, I would then proceed with a clean Windows installation (including formatting your drives).

Emil_Budev

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017

Thank you, I will post results as soon as I get that done !

johnbl

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
All of your bugchecks involve a bad memory address being passed to a driver.

this can happen for various reasons, you can have a driver corrupting kernel data structures or you can have memory problems.

generally, you would want to rum memtest to confirm your memory settings are correct. (i would update the BIOS first because if memtest fails you have to update the BIOS and retest anyway)

if memtest works as expected, then you need to update all of your motherboard drivers from your motherboard vendor. if you still get problems you should focus on the pool header corruption bugcheck and run verifier.exe

ie start cmd.exe as an admin then run
verifier.exe /standard /all
reboot and wait for the next bugcheck. The next bugcheck will name the bad driver in the minidump. (something is writing outside of its drivers space)
note: use verifier.exe /reset
to turn off verifier or your machine will run slowly until you do.

Emil_Budev

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
Hello again,

Now I have done a few several things however nothing helped.
First I did as johnbl suggested and ran a memory test from my starting menu ( HP diagnostics one the pre-BIOS menu) and it passed.
Second I did as Barty1884 suggested, downloaded the given link with AMD catalyst driver, downloaded the Driver Uninstaller program, created a restore point and entered Safe Mode.
Now here is the strange part. I ran the uninstaller ( prior to this moment the only running graphic driver I had is the one showing on DxDiag - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 - my internal graphics card driver), it successfully did its job and finally I installed the AMD catalysts and rebooted.
Now first thing I noticed is that no matter if I try to install the AMD catalyst manager from safe mode or normal mode, no matter which version I install ( both the Crimson beta 16.2 or the one you suggested 15.7 ) I never get prompted for installing driver. Like the 3rd step from the installation is analysing and afterwards choosing what components Id like to install. Only component I get is the manager itself ( no graphic drivers, audio inputs or anything else by that matter as I have seen in different guides and videos).
Now the strangest thing is that after this lot of things I did, I can see the AMD manager in control panel, but there is no driver in device manager, nor options when I click right click on the desktop ( as I have for my Intel driver ). Now I even see a Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor Driver installed under Display Adaptors with an exclamation mark in Device Manager. My guess is that this is the driver the AMD is trying to set but its either not comparable with my computer or something like that. And even after I manually remove AMD once again as well as this Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor Driver, after I reboot it still shows in Device Manager ( like I do not delete it at all).
If I run DxDiag on a fresh start of my computer I get an error in the error box under Display saying the following :
There is a problem with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter device. For more information, search for “graphics device driver error code 31”.
If I turn it off or disable the error disappears but only until next reboot.

Bottom line is that I am completely sad and screwed about how after 3 days of debugging I see no light in the end of the tunnel. I appreciate your answers and would love to hear anything else! I am willing to even start with fresh installation of Windows, but I need to be sure its something with the software, therefore reinstalling would mean I can fix it, because I have over 500GB of information and the whole process of backing it up and formatting drives would cost me a lot of time.

johnbl I also checked that verifier command and I successfully managed to start it, however I cannot test crash my computer to blue screen, since all 4 crashes the last few days where completely random( one actually being right after I rebooted my computer). I have not tried to play any games or run anything graphical since I only have my Intel driver running and I am afraid that if I push it over its limit I might end up without any graphic card at all. However yesterday, when I still had AMD Radeon HD 7650 still running ( or at least that's what device manage and diagnostic said ), whenever I tried to run heavy graphical things ( NetBeans, games, HD videos and etc.) I was able to do it for a few minutes until my desktop flashes 1-2 times real fast and than I get kicked out of whatever I had started( getting error messages either from my game launcher or from my windows saying Application.exe was restricted from using graphic card or something in those lines).
Any advice or help again are more than welcome!
Best Regards
Emil