Help restore Asus?

ftdsn244

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hello, I have a Asus K55a. I am getting ready to list it online but need to wipe everything but the windows 8 that is installed on it? I don't believe it came with discs.

I hit f9 like the book says but i get to the reset is starting and then it says missing the correct partition. I also tried this from the desktop in setting but I also eventually get the same error.

Is there some kind of hidden or locked restore partition? Any way of just removing my files,pics etc but keeping windows installed?

looking for a free way to do this. Thank You.

notherdude

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
There is quite possibly a way to create your own 'restore partition' on a USB thumb drive. Many PCs now have an automated routine to do just that. Once you have done that the method you started to use will work when it sees the thumb drive.

ftdsn244

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Thanks.

I7- I don't have anything on here I personally need saved. Do I still have to copy all folders?

Nother- I will look into it. Windows 8 has this built in?

At work but I'll give it a try asap.

What the heck happened to just popping in the disc and using your product key on the bottom?!

ftdsn244

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Sorry for the late update. Haven't had much time to mess with it. I am currently trying to create a recovery drive.

One thing I noticed..

Besides the missing partition error when trying a factory restore, when i try to just refresh the pc I just got an error saying "the drive where windows is installed is locked". Could this also be the reason why I am getting the error when trying factory reset?

I went to disc management and it showed the recovery partitions and said they are healthy. So what gives?