Status
Not open for further replies.

skykiller95

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hey guys, I recently decided to use the 5.1 channel setup in my living room for my desktop.
So, pardon me as my knowledge in speakers is limited.
The model of the DVD player is Hitachi HTD-K210 , and the connection from my desktop to the dvd player is 3.5mm plug to double rca jacks, and male ends rca cables. From the dvd player to the speakers are those "clipping things", the red and black coloured ones, that requires no plugs but only exposed wires.

The main problem is that only the front left and right speakers are working, the centre, rear left and right, and subwoofer aren't working. It is not faulty cables, neither is it faulty speakers. It can't be a coincidence that the ports of the speakers are not working. What am I doing wrong?

Solution
if you are connected via a 3.5mm cable ..... you only have stereo sound... not surround sound so the speakers are working fine.

for surround sound you can run a s/pdif optical or hdmi cable if your device takes it as an input (and if your pc outputs them).

if not, you can always go buy a sub $100 receiver and use this as a semi-cheap fix. often these have MANY more connection options then normal dvd players or htib units. just make sure your existing box can output hdmi or optical. if not you might want a different box.

--

to use my speakers with my computer i have the pc connected via a dvi to hdmi cable since my video card supports sound out via dvi. i then have this connected to the receiver which splits out the sound and passes...
if you are connected via a 3.5mm cable ..... you only have stereo sound... not surround sound so the speakers are working fine.

for surround sound you can run a s/pdif optical or hdmi cable if your device takes it as an input (and if your pc outputs them).

if not, you can always go buy a sub $100 receiver and use this as a semi-cheap fix. often these have MANY more connection options then normal dvd players or htib units. just make sure your existing box can output hdmi or optical. if not you might want a different box.

--

to use my speakers with my computer i have the pc connected via a dvi to hdmi cable since my video card supports sound out via dvi. i then have this connected to the receiver which splits out the sound and passes the video through to my television (speakers are off). everything runs perfectly.

as i stated before, another option is to use optical cabling and to set your pc sound mode accordingly. you might need a soundcard if your motherboard doesnt include this as an onboard feature.

Solution

roadrunner88

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

Hi, i just bought a new tv and am having issues getting the surround sound working. Sounds like I have the same problem as you. I've actually had the system for a few years and never got it to work right. What exactly did you do to get the surround sound working?

Status
Not open for further replies.