HELP With Creative Inspire T2900 2.1 Speakers

kbidols

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hi, I have a Creative Inspire T2900 2.1 Speakers that is now about 12 years old. It used to work perfectly until yesterday when there was a huge thunder, it stopped producing sound. The speaker has power because the device green light is on. The sound port on the motherboard is fine because when I hook up another speaker or headphone there is sound coming out. The audio jack (cable) is also working fine because when I hooked-up my cell phone to a TV with it, it sounds fine.

The same thunder also seems to have taken out my USB ports on the motherboard, since my USB mouse would no longer work if connected to the back or front USB port. It will only work if I plugged it in my USB hub. Other than that, my USB DVD-drive that is also hooked to the back, is working fine.

Now, what seems to be the problem? Did it took the circuit board on my speaker?

Please try as much as possible no to suggest me to buy a new speaker before someone could finally come to a conclusion. Thank you.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
i had an older klipsch 2.1 setup that i loved and feel like i still had what looked like power to the sub (a green led) but a circuit board in the cabin had gotten burnt out. you may have a similar scenario. take that thing apart and see how many parts are inside. the actual woofer and the satellites should be fine, but the circuitry inside can possibly be replaced. your best chance would be to buy used on ebay...if you could find some used ones with blown speakers...that'd do it. even better if someone could take the circuit board out and sent it to you or you could search for the specific part number that way.

as far as fixing it (not replacing the board), that would be beyond my skill. if some capacitors look like they are cooked, you may be able to replace them...but that may or may not be all that is wrong, assuming you are comfortable replacing capacitors.

good luck!

kbidols

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Ok here's an update:

I checked if the earphone/headphone jack on the speakers remote is working or not by plugging in my headphone. And YES IT'S working. I plugged in another speaker to that jack and it's working as well. The only problem now is that none of the Creative speakers produce any sound. I'm assuming that the sub woofer is OK, the remote is OK, but both speakers are not right.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
if the sub was working (presumably, the pc plugs directly into it and *shouldn't* depend on the satellites working), I'd think you'd still hear/feel bass, at least.

the headphone jack you mean is on one of the satellites? is there a volume control on the speakers? if you have headphones plugged in, does the volume control adjust the volume on the headphones, or do you have to adjust volume from the computer?

i'm stilling thinking the circuit board in the sub is broken, but i'm probably biased since that was the situation with mine. i could still hear super faint music from my speakers (VERY faint, but audible) after they'd "stopped working"...

regardless, how do your speakers hook up? through 1/8" / 3.5mm, or speaker wire with left/right channel? find something with the same connection and hook up to sub to test (essentially, replacing the satellites). do you have the equipment to do that?

kbidols

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Ok, so to clear things out here's what an actual Creative Inspire T2900 2.1 Speakers looks like:
all.jpg

Here's mine:
The remote control. It has control for volume & bass. There is 2 jack available, one for microphone and the other one for headphone/earphone.
IMG_9263_resize2.jpg

The sub woofer
IMG_9264_resize.JPG

Left & Right Speakers
IMG_9266_resize.JPG

IMG_9267_resize.JPG

The Back of The Sub Woofer
IMG_9265_resize2.jpg

The headphone jack on the remote is working fine. I can even connect another speaker to it and it would produce sound. Just both of my Creative speakers isn't.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
thanks for the info!

are the left and right speaker connections simple 1/8" inputs? if so, what happens when you plug one of those into the headphone jack on your remote or to your phone or whatever?

kbidols

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

No they are not. They are RCA.

kbidols

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

I did. I plugged it in my new flat screen HD TV and my old TV and still no sound. Unfortunately I don't have an 1/8" to rca cable.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
So it seems like the passthrough works (the remote when other speakers/headphones are connected), but the sub doesn't seem to and the left and right don't work (even when plugged into separate working sources)?

That is strange. I don't know what could have actually stopped working with the L/R speakers. They don't need power. Usually those things are more likely to blow or acquire unwanted distortion than suddenly stop producing sound when passed a viable sound.

The only other question I have is whether the volume control on the remote works (I just glanced back and don't see an answer -- sorry if I'm missing it), but it won't really change the fact that I'm out of ideas. Well, another (probably inconsequential) question -- does the sub have a light on it indicating it is powered on?

I'm unable to say with any confidence what is wrong or what else could be tried. Sorry I couldn't be more help and good luck!

kbidols

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

The remote works totally like normal. The green light is ON indicating that there is power to the sub woofer and remote. Just the 2 speakers that aren't.