Help with dented cones and a weird noise.

Norman_14

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
As above, got a few dented cones in my speakers (welcome to having kids, was cleaning them with covers off!)

The speakers in question are: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/263024843094 (i'm from the UK, but they are same speakers)

I'm assuming the fact the cone is dented is part of the reason i'm getting a funny noise at louder volumes. Made a private video on YouTube showing the noise, but that was a test tone of 40-50Hz, which the other speaker handles fine. (it's the left one doing the noise). Wondered if anyone knows if it would be the cone dented, or if i need some kind of replacement (i REALLY hope not). Have tried the usual swapping amps, swapping cables etc it's nothing to do with that.

Here is the Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUeUMh9kT24

Hope you guys can help! i'm willing to take it apart ONLY if i have to. There are screws on the front anyway :p

Have tried the superglue + q-tip method to try and reverse the dent - no luck and my hoover sucks so not going to happen there really.

Norman

Solution
If it sounds like a scraping sound at low frequencies then the voice coil lining may be scraping on the side of the permanent magnet ... as it has become distorted over time and twisted out of shape. The only fix for this is a speaker rebuild ... this requires some expertise and I must add I have only done a couple ... with pretty bad results.

If you can clearly identify it is the dented speaker ONLY that is making that sound ... then replace it.

So take the speaker out of line by removing one of the wires from that speaker only ,,, and se if the sound is still there.

If you only have to buy one replacement speaker to get it all going properly then it is probably worth it.

There are plenty of places where you can buy a replacement...
You can pop the dents out of the centres by using a vacuum cleaner ... just the end ... turn it on fore a second or so ... it will pop the centre.

If the actual cones are ripped you can try to glue them ... have a surf on the net to see what you can use.

Norman_14

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

I have tried that, but my hoover's nozzle isn't flat completely, it has a lump on it used for attachments so it can't create a perfect seal. I'm not buying a hoover just to fix my speaker :p i'll try and borrow a friends soon, i just wondered if there was another way? maybe unscrewing the speaker and poking it back out i don't know.

Thanks anyway

A dent in the dust cap at the center of the woofer cone will not cause any kind of noise unless when it was made the culprit also damaged the voice coil. If that's the case then fixing the dust cap won't help.
Your video doesn't have any music playing just noise. It sounds more like an amp in oscillation and the speaker just reproducing it.
You can pin down the cause by connecting the other speaker to the wire that the "bad" one is connected to.

Norman_14

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

Hi there!

It does sound like it might be the voice coil thats damaged. If it is i'm not sure where i can find a replacement speaker to fit. I'm not an expert though. I did try connecting the other speaker using the same cable, to the same port on the amp etc and it doesn't produce that noise at all so i believe it's just that speaker. Are there any more steps you would recommend to trying to fix it? i don't believe it's the amp or wires as i have tried multiple of both in just about every combination. I can run that test tone through every other speaker in the set (see the ebay link, there are 5 speakers) and it's fine, producing exactly what you would expect. Of course it's less noticeable when you are playing music or a movie, but i can still hear it and it annoys me.

If it sounds like a scraping sound at low frequencies then the voice coil lining may be scraping on the side of the permanent magnet ... as it has become distorted over time and twisted out of shape. The only fix for this is a speaker rebuild ... this requires some expertise and I must add I have only done a couple ... with pretty bad results.

If you can clearly identify it is the dented speaker ONLY that is making that sound ... then replace it.

So take the speaker out of line by removing one of the wires from that speaker only ,,, and se if the sound is still there.

If you only have to buy one replacement speaker to get it all going properly then it is probably worth it.

There are plenty of places where you can buy a replacement speaker ... note the make and model when you take it out to do the test.

Solution