Help with Iphone and unlock?

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
So my mom wants an iphone really bad, it will be her first real smartphone, all she has been talking about is how much she wants one. She currently has net 10 as her carrier and is adamant about keeping them as her carrier, in fact, she wants an iphone so bad because she heard they are selling and supporting iphones now, here. Her b-day is coming up, so it will be the perfect gift.
Thing is, no way we can pay $600+ for the iphone 5s via net 10, because it is no contract, you have to pay for the phone full price. So i took to craigslist and found some really good deals on iphone 4 and 4S, and i was thinking that i could just buy one there, unlock it, then get a net 10 sim card to put in the iphone, but is this even possible, will it work?
This is one good iphone deal that i am thinking about getting: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mob/4279993226.html But now the real problem, i am thinking that if i unlock it and lets say all goes well getting it to work with net 10, will i have to re unlock it at all like when she updates the iOS version, or any other time for that matter? Like maybe when she restores it or whatever else? Also, what is ESN? It says it is 100% clean ESN, what the heck does that mean? Lastly, will a phone like the one linked above be able to be unlocked and used with a sim card of a different carrier than it was primarily intended to be used with, in this case, Sprint... or is it Verizon... says two different carriers on the ad...?

Please help anyone! Open to any and all help and feedback, Thanks!!

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
you cannot use a CDMA phone on net10. It is for Verizon. that's why it says Verizon.

if you read the sticky at the top of the forum you would know about unlocking.
www.tomshardware.com/forum/58384-36-need-unlocking-help-read-here

that seller is clearly a dealer and I wouldn't go near them anyway

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Okay, but is it possible to unlock an iphone to work with net 10?

sora

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

I think it is, do you have a microSIM? As long as the iPhone is GDSM it should work