Help with Klipsch subwoofer setup

swzeng

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
OK, so I finally pulled the trigger and got the following. My question is the subwoofer settings. There is a gain and low pass. I am not sure how these can be optimized please advice, thanks!

Klispsch 5.1

Front: L/R - Icon KB-15
Center: Klipsch Icon KC-25
Rear L/R: Klipsch R-14M
Receiver : Sony STRDH550 5.2
Klipsch KW-100 120V ---> How do I adjust the optimal for Gain and Low Pass setting?

Solution
Pro logic does a good job.
I don't know what options you have exactly??

For movies etc in stereo I use hd-dcs or neo settings - seems to seperate the channels better than pro logic especially the center channel

For music I just use multi stereo - pro logic tends to make music echoey
http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/speakers/getting-correct-subwoofer-settings/130

Covers near everything mate , the gain itself is a matter of personal preference.
Generally don't go above 40% or you'll get boomy bass rather than tight bass just when its required.

A quick look at you speaker specs I'd personally
Set your speakers to small on the Sony amp settings, gain at around 25% on the sub , low pass 55-60htz on the sub.

You'll have to tinker while playing a full dolby soundtrack tobypuenown personal taste.

There's no absolute because overall sound will depend on your room shape & speaker placement.

Your receiver ia not as cut down as I though , you have an auto calibration mic ??
Enable subwoofer in speaker settings & use it first, sometimes it works well , sometimes not , it is worth a try first though - you may be happy with automatic results.

The low pass I recommended on the sub still stands though either way.

swzeng

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

Thanks!

Pro logic does a good job.
I don't know what options you have exactly??

For movies etc in stereo I use hd-dcs or neo settings - seems to seperate the channels better than pro logic especially the center channel

For music I just use multi stereo - pro logic tends to make music echoey

Solution
i have a klipsch setup myself..

generally i have gain and low pass turned down around 20% or so so i dont get boomy bass or overpowering bass response.

if i'm in the mood for some hard hitting bass then i crank up the gain a bit. likewise, if i want a bassier sound to music or the like i adjust lowpass up a bit.

honestly its mostly preference.

^ just because I don't know exactly how his reciever handles the crossover points + on a track with no dedicated lfe channel there is no automatic crossover, as there isn't with any music he may play+ he did express an interest in how well prologic works & streams a lot of stereo only stuff.

Just good practice at the end of the day.

In my experience if the all speakers to set to small then all the bass is sent to the sub regardless of surround mode. Only when you set the fronts to large will the receiver use the sub for LFE information only.
If you set the crossover on the sub that low with small speakers you will have a massive dip in the bass. I would guess that the sub won't have great output below 40 hz either since it would limit the maximum playback volume. That would limit the sub to a tiny range and you could never get it right. With large speakers it would be different.
If he uses the receiver auto setup the sub crossover should be all the way up or use the full range input. The level on the back of the sub won't matter unless it is so low that the receiver can't compensate. That way the receiver can set the crossover point and apply any dsp bass correction to the sub.
Even after this you can fine tune the bass level by ear on movies, music, etc. Most bass correction will decrease or eliminate bass peaks but won't increase bass dips. You may tolerate some boom to get the deeper bass even with the upper bass.

swzeng

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
OK guys, please help. My Sony Reciever keeps shutting off especially when I turn up the volume to 39>. I am hoping this is defect receiver, however is there a power wattage limition with my klipsch setup?

The error i get is : PROJECTOR or something

^ it does though , those speakers are 8ohm with decent sensitivity , you should be able to blow the speakers before that amp runs out of juice.

How far is 39 on the volume scale ??
The protection mode is normally down to the amp getting too hot more than anything else.
Is it well ventilated ???

The receiver is going into protection. This can be due to a short in a speaker cable, a bad speaker, the receiver overheating or seeing a load it can't handle.
Check all the speaker wires at the back of the receiver and the speakers. You can also disconnect one speaker at a time and test if the problem goes away.
The power ratings of many receivers are exaggerated. They all produce less power when many channels are playing loudly. Some produce a third or less of their rated power. So you could be playing the system louder than the receiver is happy with for long.
You could try a fan to keep the receiver cool.