Help with NAS drive configuration in Alldata

SaintBonaventure

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
(This thread reserved for help from moderator Darkbreeze)

Hi all. Here's hoping you can help me out with a situation I'm having. I'm working in an auto repair shop, and I'd like to take the discs we have for a program called Alldata and set them up in such a fashion that I could install the application itself on multiple computers, and put the disc images on a NAS, and have the application on each computer access that same set of disc images as needed. It'd be super helpful and really beneficial!

Alldata itself has an application to create ISOs and use networked images (or set them up, at least). So I have a Synology Diskstation DS214se I've made ISOs of all the discs (which is a massive amount of storage!), and I've moved all of them into one single folder on the NAS. I've been trying to set it up for some time now, and haven't managed to do so yet. The NAS is now set on a static IP, and I've mapped the folder with all the ISOs into a mapped drive in Windows. However, when I go to Disc Copy to set it up for network access, it no longer sees those ISOs. Previously, it was doing so, but now doesn't.

My problem before is although it worked in Disc Copy, when I tried to set it up in Alldata itself under devices, when I chose the mapped drive, it would give errors about there being no databases and the like. So I think what's happened is that within my ALLDATAData folder, I need specific subfolders and files, which I have, but I have no idea where the ISOs are supposed to go within them now. *facepalm* I messaged Darkbreeze about this, and he's been more than kind in trying to help me out. If anyone else out there has experience with this, I could sure use all the help I could get.

SaintBonaventure

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

That's correct. I got everything working up to 2010. But choose a 2011 or newer vehicle, and it hangs for almost any vehicle you choose, and then asks you to change disc. It gives me a message similar to the following -

"The Alldata content you have selected for this vehicle is not found on the disc: please insert the following disc:

201X whatever vehicle here

Gray Domestic 11 or Service Advisor 1

blah blah, ERROR 3061"

I believe I have the discs they want here, but for some reason, Alldata isn't seeing that, and I don't have a premade folder for it when I use Disc Copy Utility.

rEmeGlx.png

I think it's due to the fact that you're using valid data with the other files, (You know what I mean). I have tried using disks from my friends shop that are from years beyond what my core program was intended to be used, and since the executable has been altered or is not "keyed" for the years you're trying to use, or visa versa, it will not recognize the disks. However, I have not tried burning the disks to their own folders and have now way to do so now since his shop is in another town.

I will look into this further for you though and report back with what I can find out.

SaintBonaventure

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

Hm. Well, I have the latest executable, which is version 10.53 from Q3 2013. That sounds like it could be the culprit if not for that, although it knows to ask for those discs specifically. I really appreciate all the assistance you're lending me!

I haven't helped at all, yet. I'll take a closer look into this later this evening. Hopefully I'll have some answers then. I've just been extremely busy the last few days but I'll see what I can do. Software structures aren't my strongest area, and since I don't have the newer disks it's hard for me to test them.

SaintBonaventure

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

It turns out that I do! Ironically, it's the first time I've ever read through this particular one. I just used the AllData FAQ on their site prior. :ange:

That's what worked for me when copying disks previously, prior to upgrading to a newer version of Alldata, but I couldn't make it work with the disks from another source. That may have been my own fault though so I'd read through the different instructions in the Support Utilities>Docs folder to see if what you need is in there, including that particular document.