Help with NVIDIA 940M processor and games please! So frustrated.

m3hchelle

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Good morning.

I'm frustrated beyond belief with my laptop. I have been trying to play CS:GO and several other games. Ever since I got the laptop (3 months ago) it hasn't been able to play these games and then I found out my computer definitely should be able to play them. I did research and tried everything I found and nothing has worked. When I use the NVIDIA control panel and set the games to use the built-in Intel graphics they run okay (CS:GO runs at 40FPS smooth) but when I use my NVIDIA 940M it's super FPS laggy at between 4-14 FPS

Specs

Here's a link
6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-6500U mobile processor
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA 940M
240GB SSD (I installed after purchase)

What I've done:

Set the games to use NVIDIA High Performance GPU in the NVIDIA control panel

Reinstalled NVIDIA drivers (including selecting clean install in the advanced installation options to remove any old reg files, etc.) I even tried uninstalling the drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller Download and reinstalling the latest drivers.

Updated my RealTek audio drivers and even tried using an older driver (as suggested in another CS:GO fix)

Reinstalled Windows 10. When I did this CS:GO was running flawlessly. 100+ FPS with NVIDIA however when I updated all the drivers using Slim Drivers and Driver Booster something happened and it went back to 4-14 FPS with terrible tearing.

I paid over $1,000 for this laptop and it's my first "good" laptop purchase ever. Yet it is causing me way more stress than I want to deal with. Any help would be amazing!

Solution
Sorry cant be any more help. The only thing I can suggest is to remove the Nvidia drivers and reinstall the ones that with the laptop (or from the laptop makers website).

Or try the newest ones from Nvidia.com and see if it makes any difference.

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013
Does it make any difference if the laptop is plugged in (not on battery power) ?

Have you tried setting the GPU to Maximum performance, under the power saving options in Nvidia control panel?

Install GPU-Z, open the Sensor tab, select the 940m and check what load, clock speed and temperature its getting to.

m3hchelle

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Here's a video I made real quick recording the settings, the GPUZ and the gameplay. I recorded both the integrated and NVIDIA card performance just to give a full picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXOgXXJnZdU&feature=youtu.be

You'll see I highlight the power setting for NVIDIA and also the vertical sync. Even with that auto, it doesn't make a difference. I just set that thinking maybe the tearing was the FPS and screen refresh out of sync

m3hchelle

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Thanks for pointing that out! At least it's a step in the right direction. I'll do some research on that.

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013
Sorry cant be any more help. The only thing I can suggest is to remove the Nvidia drivers and reinstall the ones that with the laptop (or from the laptop makers website).

Or try the newest ones from Nvidia.com and see if it makes any difference.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS