Help with receiver

spray2000

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Ok, So I'm wanting to get more power to my subwoofer by hooking up 120v 60hz power cord for kenwood receiver. Which I think will be able to put more power for my whole system, But I don't really understand how to go about doing that, There is two outlets on the back of the receiver like a wall outlet and I don't know if I should buy just one power cord or two to give more power and can you link me to a 120v 60hz cord for a kenwood receiver because I don't know how to find one!

Solution

The subwoofer in your picture is simply another un-powered speaker, just like the rest of the speakers in your system. The subwoofer output on your receiver only has a certain amount of power(volume level) it can provide. If it is not giving you the loudness you desire, you will need a...

clarkjd

Distinguished
You don't need a power cable from the receiver to the subwoofer.The subwoofer will be powered with its own power cord. The receiver does NOT power the subwoofer, all the receiver does is supply the low frequency effects signal( audio signal) to the subwoofer, and the subwoofer has its own power amp. The only way to get more power to the subwoofer is to get one with a more powerful amplifier. Just be aware that to get double the volume from the subwoofer, will require an amp with ten times the wattage of your current amp.

In your pics, the 120V outputs are for powering other components of your system such as a tape deck, turntable or CD/DVD/BluRay player, The subwoofer in your picture is, indeed a car subwoofer. Again to get more sound out of the subwoofer will require a much more powerful amplifier, with speaker level inputs, NOT AC power from your receiver! If you plugged your subwoofer into the AC outlets of your receiver, you would simply blow up your subwoofer.

spray2000

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
When you say it has its power amp, There is no hook up for powering it it's just a black and red speaker wire (Positive and Negative) So what do you mean by powering? My receiver goes into protection mode because it does not have enough power to run the subwoofer and at the bottom if you see the image it says 150 watts, Does that mean more? Because this receiver can't handle the new subwoofer and I don't want to spend more money for a new one..

spray2000

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Wow, Very interesting so what if I get like an amp to power my subwoofer, Would it hook up straight to the subwoofer or go to the receiver aswell? Or what does the amp really do would it like hook up straight to the subwoofer to give it more power (Don't know much about speakers and stuff :D)

clarkjd

Distinguished

The subwoofer in your picture is simply another un-powered speaker, just like the rest of the speakers in your system. The subwoofer output on your receiver only has a certain amount of power(volume level) it can provide. If it is not giving you the loudness you desire, you will need a much more powerful amplifier to get more volume out of your subwoofer.

Solution

clarkjd

Distinguished

The amplifier would go between your receiver and the subwoofer, so it would amplify the output of your receiver before it gets to your subwoofer. Thus the audio signal would go Receiver==>amplifier==>subwoofer.

I just looked at the manual for your receiver. Are you sure that you have the subwoofer outputs turned on (Page 16 of your instruction manual)

clarkjd

Distinguished

Those are the only output on your receiver that you can hook to an additional amplifier. it would have to have speaker level inputs(as opposed to line level) to work, as the output from your receiver is too great to feed to any other input. Line level is in the milli-volt range while speaker level is in the 1 volt. range(1000 time greater). Offhand I don't know of a good one to use.

clarkjd

Distinguished

Ok, first we have to get on the same page, terminallogy-wise. your receiver has "inputs" where you attach sources of audio(turntables, tape decks, CD/DVD/BluRay drives, Etc.) and "outputs" where you attach destinations of the audio signal (Speakers, subwoofer, other recording devices) . Your receiver does not have an output for a powered subwoofer(or an amplifier to power the subwoofer) For the purposes of this discussion,it only has speaker outputs. As I said in an earlier post, to get extra loudness from your subwoofer, you would need an additional amplifier to supply it with the audio signal. In your case that means an amplifier that accepts high-level inputs( or sources) as opposed to low-level inputs, otherwise, you will simply "overdrive" the amplifier(supplying it with a signal stronger than it is expecting) causing it to be destroyed, literally.
Here is a link to the instruction manual for your receiver:
http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B60-5337-00.pdf
On page 13, it shows a "subwoofer pre out" connector, that you would use for a powered subwoofer. However your specific model of receiver does NOT have one of these, so the receiver itself has to power the subwoofer, just as it powers the rest of the speakers in your system.

Have you gone through the surround sound setup starting on page 16 in the manual?

After looking at the specifications in your manual for your receiver, it says that there is 100 watts available for the subwoofer. That should be enough for adequate volume. That makes me think that you really need to go through the surround sound setup to configure the receiver for using the subwoofer.

spray2000

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
You're seriously very helpful I'm sorry for all the trouble, I did read it.. But i'm pretty sure that the subwoofer uses more then just 100 watts maybe like 500 to 1000 watts. Now I found this item ADP-1 Speaker to Line-Level Adapter which it says I can run it with my subwoofer to my receiver just like a pre out and I can get that extra watts and that power that the subwoofer is trying to find!

clarkjd

Distinguished

If this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AQ9fm9Jz80o/p_543ADP12/Russound-ADP-1-2-Speaker-level-to-Line-level-Adapter.html
is what you are talking about, then yes, it will convert the subwoofer outputs from your receiver to a line level output, suitable for feeding the inputs of a much more powerful amplifier to drive the subwoofer.

That being said, the more powerful amplifier you would need would be very expensive, if you want one that will output 500 to 1000 watts. You would probably spend more on that than you did for your receiver.
This:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SWA500/Polk-Audio-SWA500.html?tp=180&awkw=75619894345&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47439115945&awdv=c
would actually work without the adapter above as it already has one built in. Be aware that for a given speaker, to get twice the volume, you would need to supply ten times the power. Doubling the power will only produce a 3db increase in volume (barely perceptible). The more power you require, the more expensive the amplifier.

Good Luck!