Solved! HELP with SMART Failure error

kyteflya777

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Hello,

I have an HP dv9500t which is a few years old (late 2007) but in otherwise great conidtion. About a year and half ago, I tried booting up my PC only to see the following screen:

===========================================================

S.M.A.R.T failure predicted on Hard Disk 4: ST9120822AS - (S3)

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may by immeninet.

===========================================================

Pressing F1 did and does nothing, and since I had no money to fix it at the time, I eventually gave up on it and left it alone for over a year. I am now in college and would really benefit from a laptop at the moment, so here I am trying to get this thing in working order.

As stated before, pressing F1 does NOTHING. I cannot even get to my splash screen. I have no booting CD's and this particular model comes with TWO HDD's, one for storage and the other for backup/OS. When I start up my laptop, I cannot activate system recovery, ect; the only function I can activate is F10 to get to the bios. I have ran a diagnostics tests on the Primary and Secondary drives, and the test status reads as "#1009 - Replace HD"

Excuse my ignorance but does this mean that I have to replace both drives? And if so, I would now find myself in a new dilema because this computer came with no recovery cd (s) and I do not have a copy of the OS (Vista). What should I do? I can manage replacing two HDD's but I cannot purchase a new OS copy. Please help, any suggestions welcomed.

Solution
When you get a SMART error it is the hard drive telling you that some parameter has exceeded the manufacturer’s tolerances and that the hard drive is likely to fail in the near future.

Your laptop does not have two hard drives, it has one hard drive partitioned into two partitions.

You did create backup media when you first got the laptop didn’t you? If not then its not difficult to find the windows install disks on the Internet and use the key on the bottom of your laptop.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
No, you probably don't need to replace both of your HDDs. Just the system disk. At least I don't see anithing to state otherwise yet. But as your system restore and OS installation are on your system disk you'll need to find new OS installation CD /or DVD/.
/That's the bad side when your OS installation and repair is on your system disk/

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
When you get a SMART error it is the hard drive telling you that some parameter has exceeded the manufacturer’s tolerances and that the hard drive is likely to fail in the near future.

Your laptop does not have two hard drives, it has one hard drive partitioned into two partitions.

You did create backup media when you first got the laptop didn’t you? If not then its not difficult to find the windows install disks on the Internet and use the key on the bottom of your laptop.

Solution