Gallows

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
My TV is as Element 32" Class >720p< 60Hz LCD HDTV, ELCFW324. The main issue is I am able to make this 720p 1366x768 TV, 1080p. Through my PC I can set it to 1920x1080 and it works just fine, but I have proper 1080p monitors for my PC. I mainly use the TV for my PS4 console, and randomly whenever I turn the console on I get on my TV 1920x1080 DVI. The console is hooked up normally through HDMI and there isn't a setting within the console that would do this. Here's a picture of how it normally is (1080p down scale) vs. the 1920x1080 DVI: http://i.imgur.com/8L6V0SU.png If you notice on the bottom picture, all the icons on the screen are just a little bit smaller and the left and right edges of the screen cut out farther than on the top picture. Anyone know why a TV would do this? (The Video Output setting of my PS4 are set to Automatic.)

Solution
The TV is displaying the resolution of the source. It is down converting that to its' native resolution which as you state is 1366 x 768.
All TVs overscan the picture so that there are no blank lines around the edges. Depending on the TV you can set it to be pixel by pixel or change the amount of overscan. You may need to go into the service menu to do this.

Gallows

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

I agree with you, but the picture says otherwise.

Gallows

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

I'm not trying to force it to run at 1080p, I'm very aware it can't. I'm just trying to figure out why this happened http://i.imgur.com/8L6V0SU.png.

Gallows

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

Again, I'm aware of that. I have the PS4 Video Output set to Automatic at all times, this is something that happens randomly that I do not control.

Gallows

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

There isn't really a reason for that. I only wanted to know why a TV would do that where as it shouldn't in the first place. Whenever I ask this question I get the same thing you're telling me, and I agree with you 100%, I'm just stumped as to what happened. It isn't a problem, just kind of interesting when it happens.

The TV is displaying the resolution of the source. It is down converting that to its' native resolution which as you state is 1366 x 768.
All TVs overscan the picture so that there are no blank lines around the edges. Depending on the TV you can set it to be pixel by pixel or change the amount of overscan. You may need to go into the service menu to do this.

Solution