Help with "why" headphones are not working with TV

nwgamelover

Honorable
May 25, 2014
I have the following Smart TV and Headphones:

TCL 32" Class HD (720P) Roku Smart LED TV (32S301)

Sony MDR-XB550AP Extra Bass wired headphones

When I plug the headphones into the Jack on the TV, I can hear if I turn the volume clear up on the TV. But only from the right ear, and it still is not loud enough. They won't be adjusted to normal listening. The left is just way too low.

I would like to know why they won't work with the TV, and also, if anyone can recommend a "type" of headphone that will work?

Thank you for any help. I thought when I got a TV with a headphone jack my troubles would be over but no, evidently you can't plug in just any headphone set.

Note: This TV has no info in the Manual to do with the Headphone Jack, other than it has one.

Also, there is one, setting only with this set called Audio Effect and these are the different ones (and I tried them all)

Big Bass
High Treble
Music
Normal
Speech
Theatre (thought this one would work but nope)

Solution
I think it "should" work...but it sounds like you might have an issue with the connection where it plugs into the TV.

Those 1/8" stereo plugs don't always connect as they should.

Trying moving the plug around while you are listening and see if it changes.
I think it "should" work...but it sounds like you might have an issue with the connection where it plugs into the TV.

Those 1/8" stereo plugs don't always connect as they should.

Trying moving the plug around while you are listening and see if it changes.

Solution

nwgamelover

Honorable
May 25, 2014

Hello Jay,

I appreciate your reply, and will try that. I don't see a reason for them not to work either, and I forgot to add the fact that I have a cheap set of headphones (see type below) that work fine. They are uncomfortable to wear though so I spent a little more on the Sony's. The Behringer's have that 1.8 as well.

Thank you again Jay. It was nice to find your reply this a.m.:

http://

UPDATE!
Jay!! You were right on!!

I had used a cord to extend the length, so I just stood by the TV and plugged the headphone cord itself into the jack and they work fine! That extension was the problem, so I need to fiddle with that to see if I can get it to work.

I can't thank you enough because returning the headphones would have been the wrong thing to do :wahoo: Denise

nwgamelover

Honorable
May 25, 2014

I just tried them with the extension cord again, but they won't work. I will need to buy another, which isn't a big problem at all except I need to get a "better quality" cord maybe. This one's 1.8 Jack looks a tiny bit larger, can hardly see the difference.

Can you recommend a cord Jay? The headphone input plug looks a tiny bit longer and thinner as I mentioned above. I don't know the size of the extender cord as I got it some time ago, but I'm thinking to just make sure it's 1.8.

edit: I see now that it says 1.8 is same as 3.5. I remember now that this cord is 3.5. I think I'll probably have to just try another cord, but I'll hopefully get more info from you before I order, or maybe be able to find something here in town;) Denise

UPDATE:

Ok, I'm set Jay!! I was looking through my "tekkie" drawer and found a brand new extender I hadn't used;) I hooked it up, and all is working perfectly. This one looks better quality, like the ones I was looking to order. I'll put a pick of it below for anyone that might need the same "fix"

Thanks again, Denise

Mine is half the length of this one, but I bought it at Walmart some time ago;)
http://

Well...if they don't work in the TV....I'm not surprised you have issues with the extension cord. If you plug them directly into the TV and just move the plug a little (not hard...you don't want to damage anything) if you do this....does the sound change? Sometimes you can get it to work by fiddling with it.

I think the 3.5 you mention is 3.5mm which is roughly the same as 1/8". So I think 3.5mm and 1/8" plugs are the same for all purposes.

If it looks longer and thinner....maybe it is....it doesn't take much for it not to work.