Hi, I am looking for an Microsoft Exchange alternative. Is there any solution that works natively? Without plugins I mean. Tha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulipan

Estimable
Jul 25, 2014
Hi. I have 20 outlook users in a network and I want to change the server from Windows to Linux. Is there any good alternative for Microsoft Exchange? I don´t want to bother the outlook users with plugins, so a nitive solution would be best. What is the best solution?

Thanks!

Solution

Smarter Mail is a solid alternative to Microsoft Exchange. Unlike Exchange it's extremely lightweight, simplistic, and easy to administrate. I use it to host my own email domain as well as several companies that I provide services for. It is still a Windows based service (runs on .NET 4.x) so you won't be able to run it on Linux but it's light enough to run within a virtual machine. Administration is performed entirely over HTTP and there's an accompanying...
For full Outlook support (server-stored e-mail, calendars, shared folders) there is only one solution - Microsoft Exchange Server, while it lasts. I don't think anyone develops locally hosted collaboration servers (I think even IBM/Lotus notes is no longer developed).

If your users are using only e-mail, you might consider running local e-mail server with IMAP connector.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Smarter Mail is a solid alternative to Microsoft Exchange. Unlike Exchange it's extremely lightweight, simplistic, and easy to administrate. I use it to host my own email domain as well as several companies that I provide services for. It is still a Windows based service (runs on .NET 4.x) so you won't be able to run it on Linux but it's light enough to run within a virtual machine. Administration is performed entirely over HTTP and there's an accompanying client web interface that is very easy to use and requires nothing beyond Javascript support.
SmarterMail does ship with a built-in lightweight web server, but the web services can be configured to run on IIS (recommended if you have a Windows Server licence) and/or Apache without issue.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.