Hi, I bought my new laptop without an operating system wont boot

xxricijsxx

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
Hello,
I bought my new laptop(Mitac) without operating system. I tried to install windows xp from cd and usb, but it wont boot. I get the "operating system not found" i cheked cd on other laptop and it works fine. I have no idea what to do. I Cheked bios and everything seems fine there too...

xxricijsxx

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
Im not sure...
I tried windows 7 as well, but I get same msg "operating system not found."
It's not orginal windows disks, i burn it with nero 9 and it works on my friends laptop...

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
That was my suggestion too jfreggie....sounds like it's trying to boot from the HDD, yet you haven't installed the OS.

Look for a boot menu button during the boot up, or go into setup and set the CD/DVD as the first boot device. Once installed, you can switch it back to the HDD as primary.

rmarier83

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
There's two things you need to check.

1. Boot order in BIOS. When you first turn on your computer it comes up to the BIOS screen prompting for a certain keystroke. If timed correctly, this leads you into the BIOS settings. Once there, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to navigate your way around and find the option for changing the Boot Order. Put the USB/CD-ROM at the top of the list.

2. Make your burned disc bootable. If your using Nero or whichever, make sure you burn the disc with making it bootable. Try testing this bootable disc on another computer if you can.

-I hope that you're using a 32-bit OS, as 64-bit OS's are picky with being installed on a laptop without the OS on it already.

If nothing else works, you could try pulling out the HDD from the laptop and put it into another machine and install the OS on it there and swap it back in (only do this if you know what you're doing).

xxricijsxx

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
hey, thanks for your the answers, but i already tried it all before and without any results.

1) i set cd-rom/usb first
2) and disk is bootable, cause its works on my friends laptop

rmarier I will try your second recommendation, i thought about the same yesterday

Celsy

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

So, whatever happened? I have a similar problem.