Hi! I recently got a 128GB sd card for my 8GB Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016). But after reading all the tutorials, I'm at a loss - i

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRedVelveteer

Prominent
Feb 13, 2017
Hi! I recently got a 128GB sd card for my 8GB Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016). But after reading all the tutorials, I'm at a loss - if I delete a photo from my internal storage, it is deleted on my sd card too!

This was meant to solve my storage problem, not make it worse! It's at the point where I can barely download apps. Any help? :)

Solution
So that means, as I said, your phone doesn't have that option. To make the card "Internal" storage so that apps can be run from it.

No, formatting it won't make any difference. That phone just doesn't have that option. Most by that manufacturer don't actually.

Your only other options are to either just move things like photos, videos, music, etc., (not apps) over to the card to free up space or to root the device. The latter I am not a fan of as one it automatically voids a warranty and it can easily brick your phone. However, should you wish more info on that, I suggest you post in the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum. http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html
If it is an app you downloaded to the phone first and then moved to the storage, it will delete both if you try to delete one. Also note that once the card is converted over it is then "Internal" storage, not "External". That is if you did it correctly. I will include how as well.

The smartest way is to set up the card as "Internal" storage and then download any apps after that, directly to it. Then there is nothing on the phone itself.

NOTE: That phone, as far as I know, doesn't allow for moving the apps to the card, but it could be an older version that wasn't restricted.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

TheRedVelveteer

Prominent
Feb 13, 2017

Thanks for your advice, but there are a few problems (here we go):

1) The sd card options are kind of different to what you described - there's no triple-dot icon, and I only have the options to unmount or format (erase all data) on the card. I dont really care about the few pictures on there, to br honest.

2) For most apps - all of the ones I currently use - the option to move the app to the sd card is greyed out.

So perhaps I could format my sd card to blank and then hope there's an option that comes up?

So that means, as I said, your phone doesn't have that option. To make the card "Internal" storage so that apps can be run from it.

No, formatting it won't make any difference. That phone just doesn't have that option. Most by that manufacturer don't actually.

Your only other options are to either just move things like photos, videos, music, etc., (not apps) over to the card to free up space or to root the device. The latter I am not a fan of as one it automatically voids a warranty and it can easily brick your phone. However, should you wish more info on that, I suggest you post in the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum. http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.