Hi, would it be OK to use the, polk Signature series (8 Ohms) speakers with the Sony STR DN1080 Receiver?

Solution
Ok, so what that means is this
Your 8 ohm speaker will not allow the amp to go as loud as possible, but will also be loud.
It's more dangerous to put a LOWER ohm speaker on a high ohm amp.
So for instance, if you connect your 8ohm speaker to the 6 ohm amp - if it was 100 watts, you may only be pushing 70 watts now.
These numbers are used for example and are not real.

Fantasy numbers below...
100 watts @ 8 ohm
200 watts @ 4 ohm
400 watts @ 2 ohm

Since you would be at the 6 ohm, maybe it would say
150 watts @ 6ohm

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Not knowing the system off the top of my head here is some advice.
The Ohms should be the same as whatever the amp says it is rated at.
The power of the speaker should match or be better than what the amp is rated at.
As long as you follow this, you won't have a problem. Just remember never run everything at full volume, start off slow and see how it works as you turn it up.

Jan 6, 2019
Thanks. I've heard a fee conflicting answers just lately, usually I have always matched the power and Ohms of the speakers and Receiver, but its been a while. lol. The power matches, but the receiver uses 6 Ohms. I haven't bought anything yet, but plan on upgrading soon.

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Ok, so what that means is this
Your 8 ohm speaker will not allow the amp to go as loud as possible, but will also be loud.
It's more dangerous to put a LOWER ohm speaker on a high ohm amp.
So for instance, if you connect your 8ohm speaker to the 6 ohm amp - if it was 100 watts, you may only be pushing 70 watts now.
These numbers are used for example and are not real.

Fantasy numbers below...
100 watts @ 8 ohm
200 watts @ 4 ohm
400 watts @ 2 ohm

Since you would be at the 6 ohm, maybe it would say
150 watts @ 6ohm

Solution

TRENDING THREADS