mrfaces

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
I am trying to clean out someone's computer and need some help.
She has a Windows XP Pro 32bit computer.
She had a virus and I ran malwarebytes twice full scan, then combofix. Afterwards I used CCleaner to clean up the registry.
Everything looks fine and I can access any programs via windows explorer but when I click on "Start", "All Programs" every folder states "empty".
Example - Itunes - empty. Microsoft Office - Empty.

Could someone please help get these items back under programs?

Thanks.

mrfaces

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
"Run a utility called unhide & see if that takes care of it."

Sorry forgot to mention I did try that and it didn't work.

"You just need to create new shortcuts."

I've never tried adding folders or programs to the start menu/programs. I'll try to figure it out when I get home. I am not by at a computer right now where I can try it.
Do I just go to C:\Documents and Settings\The user name for the computer\Start Menu\Programs and add it there?

Thanks.

ksiemb

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

If you cleaned out a virus, the folder contents may have been moved to another location by the infection.
If you have not deleted temp files in your cleaning process, see if you have this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp\smtmp

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished

Yes, you can do it there or simply right-click on the application and drag it onto the start menu! You will then want to make it 'nice' by renaming it, e.g. change 'Shortcut to word.exe" to "Microsoft Word" or simply "Word".

mrfaces

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Okay thanks.

I did that plus I found a neat little application (AccRestore.exe) to restore the accessories folder with all it's contents including system tools, communication, entertainment, ect.

nikkiv

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Cool... Is there an inexpensive one you can recommend?