Solved! HiFi CD nil volume, tape and radio fine

Jul 26, 2018
I have a 20 year old Technics ST-CH530 CD player as part of a CH530 hifi set, but not used it for about 5 years and its use has always been light. It has always been in original packaging when not in use and during numerous house moves, yet it now gives no sound at normal setting whilst radio tape decks play fine.

If put to max volume you can hear a very quiet output through the speakers or headphones akin to having your ear near to a turntable with no volume set but you can hear the actual output to the needle.

When initially brought out of retirement the radio and tape seemed to be playing only certain channels but all is fine now. I have cleaned all the ribbon cable plugs from dust etc and conductivity tested each pin but still no joy. Been inside but there is nothing to remedy (for my noob level).

I couldnt find anything in the forum (and appreciate a hifi is old tech!) but I would be grateful for any thoughts / advice. It has a great sound so it would be a shame to dispose of it for just this (wouldn't have minded so much if the tape had failed). Thanks!

Solution
You can connect any CD player you want to that system. Plug it into one of the line level RCA inputs and do not use the ribbon connector. CD players have improved over the years so think of it as an opportunity to upgrade.

kanewolf

Judicious
20 year old electronics. Solder joints crack just from motion. Capacitors fail from age. There are lots of possible reasons. Only someone with a schematic, and electronics troubleshooting experience doing hands on testing can tell you the actual answer.

Jul 26, 2018

Thanks for responding Kanewolf. Part of me thought that it may be needle in a haystack but seeing as the other parts work fine I thought it was worth an ask to make sure I wasn't missing something simple which I could do.

Jul 26, 2018

Of course - I forgot about the phono plugs, being so fixated on the ribbon cables (by feel) between each unit! Thanks for the tip.