Hifi - Wall Shelves

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
So I have put up a wall shelve in my room, the purpose for why i put it up was to put my hifi on it and I wasn't too sure if it was ok but ive looked online and found nothing much about. I know that there will be vibrations from the Hifi and I know this could potentially loosen the screw. I have a mini LG hifi which is 300W but I never put it too loud nor will I as I am worried about it on the shelve. I have seen that there are audio shelves but they are expensive and not as big for hifi. Anyone know anything about this?and anything I can do to help prevent vibrations like using sound dampers ? I've searched on audio forums but haven't found anything similar to my problem..

Solution
as mentioned before, you want to find the studs. tapping with your finger to find the solid sounding spot and then using a small nail to verify works great. from there you can typically measure over to what your standard spacing is in your country. or check manually as you only have a few holes. a studfinder is easy, but not required.

mounting with in-wall mounts, be it any of these http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00VMItQaRyVOgp/Wall-Plugs-Nylon-Plugs-Standard-Anchor-Series-All-Fastener-Series.jpg do certainly work for light weight and in some scenarios however are weak. in your case the vertical height between the fasteners is not very much so it will put lots of force on the fasteners and pull them out or crack the wallboard...

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
dont have any neo magnets plus not too sure on using them, first time hearing them. Well im going to the DIY/Improvement store tomorrowe and just ask them and double check if still screwing into the plasterboard is ok. Im still a teenager so im not a DIY know it all or construction person, but my room is a loft conversion so not sure on what type of walls as in the plasterboard and the thickness and all that stuff.

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
Well I was looking into the storage bit of my room where on the inside the walls are revealed and looks like the studs are exactly 16 inches wide.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Everyone has a first time doing something.
Do it right, and don't let that shelf fall off the wall.

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015

Oops yeah thats what i meant.

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015

Aha dont worry I will and I wont let it fall either. Tomorrow I will go ask for advice at the shop and see what they say and whatever they tell I shall try and report back to you guys, so thank you. I knew it would be good asking this on this forum even though its irrelavant to PC but could save my pc :D P.S Im more of an engineer

USAFRet

Illustrious
When you go down to the store, this is what you say:

I have a plasterboard wall
I want to hang a shelf from it
The shelf is 40" between mount holes
The wall studs are 16" on center
The shelf needs to hold 20kg

Then stop talking and let the shop guy point you to the right mount solution.
Either that screw in thing I posted above, or possibly toggle bolts.

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
wait quick question should in my room there is a small corner not like full corner but a small one for where the chimney used to be, hsould i measure 16 inches out from that? would the be a chance of finding a wooden stud since it is a corner ? or where the wall outlet is?>

USAFRet

Illustrious

You need actually to find the studs. Absolutely no telling exactly how it is constructed.

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
not gonna lie the stud thing sounds like it will be really annoying as i want my shelf to directly above my drawer which is also 40 inches long, that is why i cut the shelf down to 40inches long aswell as the fact that my hifi will be able to fit on it

USAFRet

Illustrious

How wide was it originally?

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
Well before it was orignally 119cm and now it is 102cm or like 101.5cm. Since I know I am going to take the shelve off the wall tomorrow i have taken the hifi off it and the other stuff, this is going to sound stupid but i just started testing the shelf like trying pull back on it and move it and feels really sturdy but i guess thats because we put it up in less then 5 hours ago but not sure, i will go get the correct wall plugs still.

USAFRet

Illustrious

At 119cm, it was an inch shy of being 48". Which would have worked perfectly with your apparent stud spacing.
:pfff:

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I just now looked at the picture of the shelf on the link you provided. I didn't realize that the brackets had to be at the very ends of the board. So there is no way you can attach it to 2 studs, the math doesn't work. You will have to go with drywall anchors or toggle bolts.

Or attach the brackets to a backer board like I suggested earlier.

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
Ive just been watching this handyman guy on youtube who seems like an absoloute expert on plasterboard and test vary wall plugs for plasterboard and he responds to the comments so i guess im going to just screw into the plasterboard. The togglet bolts sound very but its just that drilling a huge hole might be a mess hopefully if i do i use it and make it look neat as possible plus construction items are getting more and more expensive.

as mentioned before, you want to find the studs. tapping with your finger to find the solid sounding spot and then using a small nail to verify works great. from there you can typically measure over to what your standard spacing is in your country. or check manually as you only have a few holes. a studfinder is easy, but not required.

mounting with in-wall mounts, be it any of these http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00VMItQaRyVOgp/Wall-Plugs-Nylon-Plugs-Standard-Anchor-Series-All-Fastener-Series.jpg do certainly work for light weight and in some scenarios however are weak. in your case the vertical height between the fasteners is not very much so it will put lots of force on the fasteners and pull them out or crack the wallboard. fasteners such as linked work great in cases where the vertical distance between screws is high compared to the extension of the shelf from the wall (such as if you had a 6 inch shelf but had 6 inches or more vertical between the two screws) or in cases where you simply hang something directly perpendicular (straight down for example when you drill into your wall). one screw into a stud is as strong as 5-6 such fasteners as well, so you may want to keep that in mind.

while outlets for the most part are secured to studs do not assume this without testing. some do get placed just hanging onto the wallboard (installed after wall is already up).

the ikea shelf you linked.. yeah that one is a prime example of something that will have alot of force on the screws given its small vertical distance. too much weight and it will pull the top screws right out. do yourself a favor and put them into studs.

Solution