Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
So I have put up a wall shelve in my room, the purpose for why i put it up was to put my hifi on it and I wasn't too sure if it was ok but ive looked online and found nothing much about. I know that there will be vibrations from the Hifi and I know this could potentially loosen the screw. I have a mini LG hifi which is 300W but I never put it too loud nor will I as I am worried about it on the shelve. I have seen that there are audio shelves but they are expensive and not as big for hifi. Anyone know anything about this?and anything I can do to help prevent vibrations like using sound dampers ? I've searched on audio forums but haven't found anything similar to my problem..

Solution
as mentioned before, you want to find the studs. tapping with your finger to find the solid sounding spot and then using a small nail to verify works great. from there you can typically measure over to what your standard spacing is in your country. or check manually as you only have a few holes. a studfinder is easy, but not required.

mounting with in-wall mounts, be it any of these http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00VMItQaRyVOgp/Wall-Plugs-Nylon-Plugs-Standard-Anchor-Series-All-Fastener-Series.jpg do certainly work for light weight and in some scenarios however are weak. in your case the vertical height between the fasteners is not very much so it will put lots of force on the fasteners and pull them out or crack the wallboard...

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015

Wall the plasterboard wall but using a standard wall plug, The only reason ive become more worried about this is because if anything were too drop my pc and xbox is right beneath it and i cant afford for that to happen. Im starting to consider taking shelve out and go to shops tomorrow and buy plasterboard wall plugs and ask for some advice.

USAFRet

Illustrious

If you can locate the studs behind the plasterboard and screw into that, that would work just fine.
And there are other, far more secure, plasterboard attach things, rather than the cheapo plugs.

I would not trust 10+kg hanging from a couple of little plugs.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Something like this, maybe
self-drilling-drywall-anchors-i3.jpg

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015

Thanks but I would have to buy a stud finder plus what if the shelf length wont be able to screw into the studs because each side would go over a stud. Tomorrow or soon I am going to go and purchase and some high quality plasterboard wall plugs and correct screws.

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah but need a screw with a flathead so it fits the shelves brackets. I hate that im gonna have to take it down and redo it but worth it as it will reduce the risk of smashing my pc xD oh dear. Since Ill be taking out the current screw and wall plug should i put the new wall plug in same hole but just use a drill to enlarge it or move it a bit above but what should I do to cover the holes?any type of polyfilla?

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
But im not gonna lie it feels very sturdy plus my dad has another shelf in the house which is an a plasterboard and its quite a large shelve and has been there for more then 3 years and has still been holding up with atleast couple of KG's on it?

USAFRet

Illustrious

You should mount it properly.
How that happens, is up to the actual wall construction, and your skills.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
You really don't need a stud finder to locate studs. Tapping on the drywall with your knuckle until you find the spot with the most solid sound. Then verify you have found a stud by hammering in a very thin nail. Measure 16 inches over (presumably) and the next stud should be there. Again verify with the thin nail.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished

I haven't owned a stud finder in decades and have no problem locating them. Simply tapping gently on the wall and listening to the pitch of the sound it makes you can easily find studs. Highest pitch = stud. Lowest pitch= midway point between studs. It ain't rocket science.

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
Well Im not too sure about using the wooden stud but for sure tomorrow I will be going to the shops to go purchase some proper plasterboard wall plugs for the shelves. But as I said not too sure about using the wooden studs unless I go and get some advice from the guys at the shop and see what they recommend.

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015

ok

Yr1699

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
Well my shelf is 40inches long and the brackets are on each end so trying to screw the brackets into wooden studs would be difficult. What is the average width of a wooden stud?

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Width of average stud-about 1.5 inches. You could attach a 50 inch wood board to the shelf's brackets, centering the shelf so there is 5 inches of the board extending from each end, and then attach the board to the wall studs with screws.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Distance between the screw holes?
40"?

Studs (in the US) are generally 16" on center. Approx 2" wide.