High pitch sounds from my Acer Aspire V 17 Nitro..

skezzo

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
I have a problem with my computer. It's making low dB, high pitch noises from time to time.
It wouldn't be a problem really if it didn't distract me from my work.
Computer is an Acer Aspire V 17 Nitro - Black Edition
Intel(R) Core(TM) i54210H @2.9 GHz
8GB RAM

Running Win 8.1 x64 still(Not ready for upgrade)
What could be causing this?
HDD? CPU? RAM? Screen?
I know it's not the fan(the hearable fan sound itself at least).
And it's constant. But it actually get's a little better when I connect the power to it.

Please ask for more info if you do need it to figure it out.

Thank you for any answers that will explain or solve this.

Solution
Hi there skezzo,

There's a chance that your system is overheating. Could you clean the dust out of it? In case you can do that, it may be a good idea to re-test the drive afterwards and see if you will get similar results.
Another thing you could consider is to get a cooling pad.

Back up the crucial data stored on the drive. You need to back up the data you can't afford to loose anyway.

D_Know_WD :)

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there skezzo,

I believe you can check your drive's health out: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
Observe the SMART report and see if there are any abnormal values. If there is something wrong with the drive, you need to back up the data stored on it.
Apart from that, you can use a tool to measure the temps and see if the laptop is overheating.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_Wd :)

skezzo

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Thank you for such a quick answer!
I took some screenshots from the analysing program, and there seems to be a heat problem?
I've noticed one part(down, right) of my laptop becoming increasingly hotter since I bought the thing. Though it would last more than 1 year.

Anyway, here are some shots:

https://imageshack.com/i/pmxaQVT3j

https://imageshack.com/i/pnjZaSxXj

https://imageshack.com/i/pm0yxLPoj

https://imageshack.com/i/pnlaKF0Xj

I'm not sure what this means. Could my computer suddenly shut down or start bluescreening?
Any way to fix this problem without it costing me just as much as a new laptop? Paid ~1200 USD for this laptop. That's alot of cash for me right now, in a tight spot moneywise.
Is there any way to replace the hdd myself? I've done this on desktops, but I'm p-retty sure that it's a much more delicate proccess on laptops.

Thank you again!

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there skezzo,

There's a chance that your system is overheating. Could you clean the dust out of it? In case you can do that, it may be a good idea to re-test the drive afterwards and see if you will get similar results.
Another thing you could consider is to get a cooling pad.

Back up the crucial data stored on the drive. You need to back up the data you can't afford to loose anyway.

D_Know_WD :)

Solution

skezzo

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Hmm! I took a closer look at my laptop. One of the fans seems to not be functional. I can't even remember it ever working. I just noticed it yesterday.
Once I blow a little while into it the hdd temp. sinks dramatically. Might there be a bad connection?
Should I get this fixed or just get a cooling pad?
This will be my last question, think this is a pretty much closed and shut case. Just need a final opinion on fix or "fix"?
Thank you so much for everything!

Edit:
That's very bad english too, I saw it just now. You must excuse me! I'm just very exhausted these days.

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
I fixed HP laptop fan recently, on opening the laptop i found the fan refused to moved even when nudging with my finger, was about to order a fan but i tried cleaning it up, took it apart cleaned it, connected it and booted up and worked like new.

skezzo

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
No, it moves when I blow air into it. It just doesn't work and seems to make this sound increase as the computer get hotter. I'll just buy a cooling pad for now.

Thank you!

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
For the purposes of developing a knowledge base i would like to outline a similar experience with my own laptop:

Model: Fujitsu-siemens Amilo L 1310G

Issue : High pitched noise and sometimes scraping sounds heard from within the laptop.

Recent changes to laptop: Prior to the noise only a bios update via setup exe., was done some months back, noticed after update the fan was constantly full throttle for or at lower rpm but never shuts down completely.

Attemps made to solve it: Re-flash of bios via cmd on bootup, did not solve the issue, only removing cmos battery and main battery for a complete day resolved the fan noise, and it returned to normal rpm and stopping when laptop was adequately and powered on when cooling was needed ie. it returned to normal factory standard operations.

Granted this solution will be rarely required due to constant to improvements in hardware, but this is to state that bios update in some cases can cause fans to behave oddly.