danecuccio

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
So I just recently purchased a home that had 4 ceiling speakers already installed in the living room. I've identified which wires are what and took off the covers of one of the speakers (all identical) to see what power they need. Now I'm pretty tech savvy, albeit other than audio, which boggles my mind. This is what was on the back of the one speaker.

Ambiance 60 (model), by Cambridge
Impedence: 8 Ohms
Recommended Amplifier power range: 10 - 100 watts RMS

I think they're sold in pairs (if that counts as a system or not?) but basically what are the limits on the receiver or amplifier can I get? Would an 80w (2 channel) Amp be adequate for these 4? I only need stereo and am just hooking up my TV, also they're all in front of where the couch is, so surround sound is out. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money and something small would be nice, but if i could at least get some parameters I can know where to start.

Thanks!

Solution
You can use a receiver or amp with anywhere from 20 - 200 watts into 4 ohms.
An 80 watt receiver with speaker pair A and B terminals will work fine. If it doesn't have two pairs of terminals that receiver will have to be able to run a 4 ohm load. If it can then it will say that in the specs or give a power rating into 4 ohms.
To use a stereo receiver your TV would need analog audio or headphone outputs or you would need an optical to analog converter. A stereo receiver with built in DAC will have an optical audio input.
Digital AV receivers will have optical input and can be used in stereo. You would also have the option to add a center channel and sub later both of which you might appreciate. A used one without HDMI would not be...
You can use a receiver or amp with anywhere from 20 - 200 watts into 4 ohms.
An 80 watt receiver with speaker pair A and B terminals will work fine. If it doesn't have two pairs of terminals that receiver will have to be able to run a 4 ohm load. If it can then it will say that in the specs or give a power rating into 4 ohms.
To use a stereo receiver your TV would need analog audio or headphone outputs or you would need an optical to analog converter. A stereo receiver with built in DAC will have an optical audio input.
Digital AV receivers will have optical input and can be used in stereo. You would also have the option to add a center channel and sub later both of which you might appreciate. A used one without HDMI would not be expensive to pick up at a thrift shop or Craigslist. Make sure to get the remote.

Solution