Home telephone to 3.5mm jack converter (rj9 to 3.5mm)

neshymama

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Hi i am very keen in making a converter such that i could plug my earpiece (with a mic) into the phone and have a conversation.

What i have got so far:
1.RJ9 heads
2. 4 Pin 3.5mm audio wire (female)

When i strip the 3.5mm wire i get 4 wires, Green. Blue, Red and Copper. I didn't know which exactly was the left, right, microphone. Copper would be the ground.

So i tried to test on my home telephone, i dissemble my telephone's headset and saw the 4 RJ9 connections: green and yellow goes to the microphone, Red and black goes to the speaker.

I tried to play around and connect the wires from the 3.5mm wire to the red and black of my telephone, hoping i could hear something in my earpiece. Sadly, i couldnt hear anything, not even static sounds. please advice, thank you so much :D

neshymama

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013

Tnx for the reply! it is more or less what i need. But i would like to learn how to make it myself. It's more challenging ;)
I realize that the 3.5mm wire is coated with an insulator around the wire and i have to sand away the insulater. I will try that and see if it works. I will update this thread with that