Home Theatre - Confused about which AV receiver and speakers to use

ncm123

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Hello,

I want to get a home theatre system installed in my home with following requirements. My Room size is 30 feet x 18 feet. Screen size will be approximately 12 feet x 8 feet.

I need your help in figuring out these questions.

1) For the size of the room -> Should 5.1 or 7.1 speakers. How do I select the correct speakers for the size of the room?

2) HD receiver which will support multiple hdmi inputs (apple tv, chromecast, dvd/blue ray player) and give output to both TV and projector.

One of my friends has bought Yamaha RX-A770BL and is quite happy with it. But this one only had one HDMI output. Will I need to use the hdmi for the tv and use the RCA video cable for the projector? Or is there some other solution?

Thanks in advance,
Nishant

USAFRet

Illustrious
I have a slightly smaller size room. Smaller screen, but irrelevant.

1. Speakers - I have a set of 5.0 EnergyTake Classic.
This set, without the subwoofer: https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44

2x Polk Audio 10" subs.

2. Receiver - The low-mid range receivers all "sound" the same, it's mainly just feature differences.
I have a Denon AVR-S510BT 5.2
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S510BT-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00YAO43YG

This combination is crisp, clear, and it shakes the whole house if desired.

Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo...all have similar offerings.

I wish I had gotten a receiver with dual zone, so that Zone B could be outside speakers. Ah well.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Multiple HDMI connections.
My Denon has 3x.

Currently, I have 1 HDMI from a PC, 1 HDMI from the cable box, 1 HDMI out to the TV.
That could easily be TV and projector and cable box.

ncm123

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
I saw the Denon AVR-S510BT -> It seems to have only one HDMI output. Do all HDMI slots support both input and output?

tM4BdF.jpg

HDMI inputs can't be used as outputs. Since you know you need them you might as well get a receiver that has two HDMI outputs. You want HDMI for both the TV and projector. No HD without HDMI.
You have a large room so tiny speakers (especially for the three front speakers) are not going to fill the room or play loud enough even with a sub. Depending on where you sit 7.1 will work better for that room.
What type of speakers (box speakers, on wall or in wall) will depend on a lot of factors. If you stay with one brand you can usually mix them up. For instance you can have tower left and right fronts, in wall center, and on wall side and rear surrounds. Price will make a big difference.

ncm123

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Thank you for all the replies. I think putting a simple hdmi splitter would be a good idea. Thanks for the tip!

I am having doubts about whether to go for 5.1 or 7.1 speakers.

Will this set be a good option for the size of room in question?
https://www.amazon.in/Yamaha-Yht-2910-Channel-Powerful-Stylish/dp/B00N0VEW6O/

Here is the layout of the room. Its 18 feet x 30 feet.
HAWTERJ.jpg

drivinfast247

Proper
May 29, 2018
If you're building a dedicated home theater you want nothing less than Atmos 7.1.4 IMO. There are a few receivers out there capable of this configuration. Depending on the finished size of your room(and again budget) you may want to think about a pre-amp/processor and dedicated channel amps. This will give you much more power than a receiver, but with greater cost.

The sky's the limit, or actually your budget is.

So while its a big area its actually open plan & we can assume your main use for the surround speakers is to fill that main living seating area ?

I can see the main tv to the left, where is the projection screen going to go exactly ?

would be helpful if you mark theseup on that plan & also your 'proposes' positions of the speakers themselves.

Ideally, your listening position should not be close against the back wall, and definitely not for 7.1 as 2 of the surrounds need to be perpendicular to your ears, and the other 2 surrounds a little distance back.

But u can buy a 7.1 receiver (actually 5.1 becoming rare) and use it in 5.1 mode. During configuration you simply tell it, I only have 5.1 speakers.

ncm123

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for all the help.

I am just getting confused about speakers. How do you select the ideal speakers for a particular room?

ncm123

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013

Sorry for replying so late
I have tried to mark the places where the speakers can go.

jyMG4Q.jpg