Hook Up Multiple Inputs to One Amp

MrMario

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015
This is a new audio set-up for my desktop, first time with bookshelf speakers/amp combo.

Speakers: JBL Arena 130's
Amp: Dayton Audio APA150
Main Audio Source: Desktop PC

Right now I have my amp plugged in via a 3.5mm to RCA cable to my PC (motherboard). Both speakers are plugged in via banana cables to the amp, everything so far works fantastic.
The things I would also like to plug into the amp are:
My headphones (Sennheiser HD 439's) and
My TV/second monitor (an old cheap Haier HD TV with auxiliary and RCA connections)

Is it possible? Do I need splitters or couplers or a switch?

Help is appreciated, let me know if you need more info from me to be helpful.

Solution
Ideally the amp is also the SWITCHER, the box with the multiple inputs. An integrated amp will do that for you, BUT what u have is a straight power amp with a single input. So......

Most PC have a line_in, u could hook up your next input there but THAT'S IT, another input in the future and u run into this prob again.
Ideally the amp is also the SWITCHER, the box with the multiple inputs. An integrated amp will do that for you, BUT what u have is a straight power amp with a single input. So......

Most PC have a line_in, u could hook up your next input there but THAT'S IT, another input in the future and u run into this prob again.

Solution
You need an input selector to chose the source.
You need a volume control since the output of the TV might be fixed.
You need a headphone amp/jack for the Sennheisers.
To do that with separate boxes and cables doesn't make much sense
As suggested above you should have gotten an integrated amplifier which would have an input selector, a volume control, and headphone jack and power amp.
You can add a preamp to your basic amp which will have a volume control input selector and headphone jack.

MrMario

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015

So I did end up trying this, my PC does have a line-in via the motherboard at the back. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite figure out how to get the audio to run from my TV through my PC to the speakers. Is it just a plug-n-play solution or do I need to do something else to get this to work?

Along that line, my TV is plugged into my graphics card via HDMI. HDMI carries audio, so why doesn't that work?

I'm not worried about my headphones anymore, they run fine for my needs through the audio jack in my monitor (lol).

MrMario

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015

Regarding what jsmithepa said, is there a reason running audio to the line-in jack on my motherboard isn't working for me?
I don't mind buying a preamp, what brands would you suggest or are there any specific ones you'd recommend?

MrMario

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015

Ok, here's the set-up.

My JBL Arena 130’s are hooked up via banana cables to my Dayton APA150. My PC (primary audio source) is connected to my amp via a 3.5mm to RCA cable (monoprice cable). My headphones (Sennheiser HD 439) are plugged into the aux port on my monitor, and the monitor to PC via displayport.

My secondary audio source is an old Haier HD TV. My PS2 is connected via a mini a/v converter cable that came with my TV. My Roku is connected to that TV via HDMI, and finally the TV is connected to my Line-In port at the back of my PC via 3.5mm (also HDMI to GPU). There is a ground loop noise isolator (MPOW adapter) between the TV and PC at the PC end.

What a journey it's been. The initial installation of my wall mounts was a nightmare mainly due to the irregularity of my wall studs (and took several trips to the hardware store). Then I ended up taking even more trips to my local Fry's trying to get my TV’s audio to come through my JBL’s. First I tried using an RCA switch with a couple 3.5mm to RCA adapters to connect my PC, TV, and headphones to the amp, which “worked” but I got significant audio feedback at higher amp volumes (the noise got exceedingly worse when I ran a couple video games).
So I ended up returning all of that, and now I've got the set-up that I described earlier. The noise grounder is fantastic, I've got no more feedback (except at very high amp volumes, and even then it's not nearly as bad) and all my audio sounds great no matter the source or what application I'm running. Switching audio sources is easy and works like it should. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Yes I could've avoided a lot of hassle by buying a proper receiver (and then it'd be a proper solution). However, as you can see from the picture of my set up, I'm very limited on space. There were plenty of good quality and affordable used receivers online, but none in the dimensions I needed. There are a couple of receivers that could've fit my space requirements, but I could only find them expensive and new. I also felt weird spending more on an amp/receiver than my speakers (I got them new at a great price on sale).

Feel free to share your thoughts. At some point I'll add a sub, but I don't have the space for it right now.