Hook up new DVD Recorder, cable and TV

Lee_56

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
I have a new DVD recorder I'm trying to connect to a set-top mini cable box and an old TV. I need to connect the cable company box to the DVD Recorder.
The problem is the cable box (XFinity/Comcast & only about the size of a deck of cards), only has 1 plug for electric & 3 connections - coax in from cable company, coax out to TV and HDMI out. The cable company says the only other option is a much more expensive set-top box. The DVD recorder's "IN" options are only SVHS and RCA (they Do have HDMI out, but not in). I can't find local stores with cables that I think might work and hate to order online and get the wrong thing. Two possible options seem to be HDMI to RCA cable and HDMI to RCA converter. Maybe there's something else I'm not aware of - I'm not tech savvy. Any advice would be appreciated (Sanyo DVD recorder / VCR Combo.

Solution
HDMI to RCA cable will not work.
HDMI is digital video and audio and RCA is analog.
You will need a converter. You will also lose the HD picture on your TV if you go through the DVDR all the time.
I would suggest you use a 1x2 HDMI distribution amp to split the HDMI out of the cable box. Connect one output to the TV directly and the other to the HDMI to AV converter.
HDMI to RCA cable will not work.
HDMI is digital video and audio and RCA is analog.
You will need a converter. You will also lose the HD picture on your TV if you go through the DVDR all the time.
I would suggest you use a 1x2 HDMI distribution amp to split the HDMI out of the cable box. Connect one output to the TV directly and the other to the HDMI to AV converter.

Solution

Lee_56

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

Thank you. I realized HDMI was digital & RCA analog, but I couldn't figure out why someone would need the HDMI/RCA cable if it didn't transmit all the information. I will get the converter, as suggested and the HDMI splitter for good measure.

ANOTHER QUESTION - will converter work either way? I'm seeing coverters that say they convert component/RCA TO HDMI. I have to go the opposite - FROM HDMI to RCA (or SVHS).

Thanks again for your help.

tltallen75

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Is a 3 device hdmi switch the same as what you are talking about with the 1x2 hdmi split??