hooked up external monitor to laptop - problem - can not see mouse and keyboard on monitor (only on laptop screen)

Deb_10

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016
Trying to get mouse and keyboard working with external monitor to my laptop - Do I need to change my settings? If I buy a wireless keyboard/mouse would that work better?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Do you get any image on your external? Have you moved the mouse both to the left and right of your screen to see if it shows up? If the monitor is set to be to the left of the screen but you have it physically on the right it can make you think it isn't working because you have to go to the left to make it show.
Within your display settings you should see both monitors listed, and you can hit identify, it will put a number on each screen, have you tried that? It will tell you if the screen is seen by the laptop and also whether it is seeing it to the left or to the right (and you can drag it to change which side).

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Do you get any image on your external? Have you moved the mouse both to the left and right of your screen to see if it shows up? If the monitor is set to be to the left of the screen but you have it physically on the right it can make you think it isn't working because you have to go to the left to make it show.
Within your display settings you should see both monitors listed, and you can hit identify, it will put a number on each screen, have you tried that? It will tell you if the screen is seen by the laptop and also whether it is seeing it to the left or to the right (and you can drag it to change which side).

Deb_10

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016

Deb_10

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016
The image does show up on external monitor - my laptop screen goes black. And I did move the mouse around - no luck. I will play with it some more and let you know! thanks for your help so far:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Laptop Tech Support 3
T Laptop Tech Support 3
T Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 3