Hooking up Logitech x-530 speakers to Diamond USB External Sound hard, and my laptop.

Firechat

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
Okay so I have been trying to get these speakers to work but have been having a difficult time with it. Whenever I try to use my speakers, it only plays sound out of 2 of them at a time. Any idea what the issue is?

Solution
you need all 3 of the 3.5mm connectors hooked up if you want surround sound.

you are only getting stereo sound as an option because of this.

remember to set your default audio device to the external soundcard, install any software drivers for it if required and set that device to 5.1.

if your device doesnt seem to work with more than one 3.5mm plugged into it (remember to plug it into the green, orange and black (front, c/sub and rear) plugs then perhaps your external card is not working properly and needs to be replaced with something that does work. diamond is a no-name brand after all. i would however try to see if you need drivers and check all the other settings first (or try it on another pc too) to verify that it is not...
first...

it is a 5.1 or 7.1 capable sound card?
you have all three 3.5mm cables plugged in?
you have your windows sound properties set to 5.1 sound not stereo?
you are trying to test sound with a confirmed surround source such as a dolby digital movie?

miscellaneous beeps and boops on windows are mono/stereo sound only. most web video content is stereo only. most music is stereo only. the only real sources of surround on pc are video games and movies encoded with surround (typically dvd/br disk though some digital content does as well)

check the above first to rule out the common causes. if you have done the above then you might want to give more details.

Firechat

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
It is a 7.1 capable sound card. I only have 1 jack hooked in at a time. The reason for that is when I place in another of the 2 jacks the sound from the one jack already in quits playing and the new jack inserted starts playing on the other speaker, or speakers depending which one i plug in.

I am unsure as to how my system is currently set up. When clicking on my little sound icon and looking through the 4tabs that come up I don't notice anywhere the 5.1 or stereo options.

I am using the computers default sound program (acer media)

you need all 3 of the 3.5mm connectors hooked up if you want surround sound.

you are only getting stereo sound as an option because of this.

remember to set your default audio device to the external soundcard, install any software drivers for it if required and set that device to 5.1.

if your device doesnt seem to work with more than one 3.5mm plugged into it (remember to plug it into the green, orange and black (front, c/sub and rear) plugs then perhaps your external card is not working properly and needs to be replaced with something that does work. diamond is a no-name brand after all. i would however try to see if you need drivers and check all the other settings first (or try it on another pc too) to verify that it is not working before assuming this.

Solution