How can I earn money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackslash_

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
Hello guys! I am 13 years old and really want to build a good gaming pc. I bought a really bad one before I had any knowledge and it [bad lang]. It can't even run csgo at csgo at low 60 fps low res. So anyway, I would love to build my own pc. I have my list right here. I know how to do it but I don't have to money. This may be a little of of the topic but what are the best ways to make money at 13? I need a 1000 dollars. Thanks, hackslash_
PC Part list:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j8znFT

Solution
At 13 do odd jobs for people like mowing yards, helping paint, etc. You can put flyers out to help advertise.

If you are on time and do good work then you get repeat business, and your customers suggest you to other friends.
It might take a month or two to get any good momentum going, but if you are persistent you should have no issues earning $1k by the end of the summer.
If you are unreliable or do half-a$$ed job then that reputation will also follow you.

And I just wanted to say good on you for wanting to work and save money for something, instead of just expecting it to be given to you. Also nice to see someone wanting to save for a good computer instead of buying what they can with the $500 they have (and then spend an extra...
At 13 do odd jobs for people like mowing yards, helping paint, etc. You can put flyers out to help advertise.

If you are on time and do good work then you get repeat business, and your customers suggest you to other friends.
It might take a month or two to get any good momentum going, but if you are persistent you should have no issues earning $1k by the end of the summer.
If you are unreliable or do half-a$$ed job then that reputation will also follow you.

And I just wanted to say good on you for wanting to work and save money for something, instead of just expecting it to be given to you. Also nice to see someone wanting to save for a good computer instead of buying what they can with the $500 they have (and then spend an extra $600 to upgrade it (so $1100 total) to make it a $900 computer).

Solution

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

I'm also 13. I did end up building a computer but it was for school (I go to a private school in MA). Anyway it was not really a gaming pc and I did it more for the experience than for the result of it. It has an i3-4150 and a GT 740. Just doing odd jobs might work, but I'm thinking about buying used laptops off of eBay and giving them a bit of TLC and reselling as I'm technically oriented.

Naturally you don't have to just stick to yard mowing, washing cars, etc. These types of jobs are something that does not require too much skill/training to do an adequate job, but you can do jobs using any marketable skill that you have.

Just don't take on something that is over your head, costing the customer more money due to damaging something, or bad reputation will cost you way more lost money in the long run then turning down the job.
I have had quite a few jobs fixing what the clients "guy that knows computers" did.

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

Anything you would recommend for a 13 year old who's technically inclined? Just want to do something for the experience of it and not really mainly for the money.

To gain experience just offer to check on broken things when friends/family bring it up, or there might be a local charity that needs donated electronics fixed. No one is going to take a 13 year old seriously to pay to repair their stuff, especially not pay you to figure out how to fix it. I don't mean to be rude or anything it is just the reality of the mater, I think is good that you have the desire to learn, way too many people these days that don't know how to fix anything for themselves.

I tinkered with a lot of things when I was your age and learned how to fix it or build it (and broke a few things worse then when I started).

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

I'll look into it. Again as I said I'm mostly doing it for the experience and not the money. I have other ideas (software development) for making money.

Status
Not open for further replies.